Calculating Time, Where Did I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter NafeesR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: It is there because in the formula for the acceleration, the initial velocity is not a constant, it is changing with time. So when you integrate the acceleration to get the velocity, you get a factor of 1/2. In summary, the acceleration is not halved in this formula because it takes into account the changing velocity of the object.
NafeesR

Homework Statement

A child accidentally drops her doll from a bridge suspended 50m above a fast moving river. Assuming the doll never reaches terminal velocity, how many seconds will it take for the doll to hit the water?

Homework Equations

x=x0+ v0t + 0.5*at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using acceleration formula: x=x0+ v0t + 0.5*at2
It should be 0=(50M)+(0m/s)t+0.5*(-9.8m/s2)
Which would give me 3.194382825 seconds. The textbook's answer is 2.3s. So after a bit of exploration I realized that the acceleration isn't supposed to be halved. That brings me to the question why isn't the acceleration halved like the example and other questions using the formula?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NafeesR said:

Homework Statement

A child accidentally drops her doll from a bridge suspended 50m above a fast moving river. Assuming the doll never reaches terminal velocity, how many seconds will it take for the doll to hit the water?

Homework Equations

x=x0+ v0t + 0.5*at2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using acceleration formula: x=x0+ v0t + 0.5*at2
It should be 0=(50M)+(0m/s)t+0.5*(-9.8m/s2)
Which would give me 3.194382825 seconds. The textbook's answer is 2.3s. So after a bit of exploration I realized that the acceleration isn't supposed to be halved. That brings me to the question why isn't the acceleration halved like the example and other questions using the formula?

Your answer is right (though you made a typo error and forgot a "t" in your equation.)
The factor 1/2 in front of the acceleration comes from integration.

1. How do you calculate time?

Calculating time involves using the formula Time = Distance/Speed. This means that to calculate time, you need to know the distance traveled and the speed at which you traveled.

2. How do I know if my calculations for time are correct?

You can check the accuracy of your time calculations by using a time calculator or by double-checking your calculations using the formula Time = Distance/Speed. You can also compare your results with previous calculations or ask a colleague to review your work.

3. What are some common mistakes when calculating time?

Some common mistakes when calculating time include using the wrong formula, using incorrect units (e.g. using meters instead of kilometers), and making errors in conversion (e.g. converting miles per hour to kilometers per hour incorrectly).

4. How do I account for variables that may affect time calculations?

Variables such as traffic, weather, and road conditions can affect the speed at which you are traveling and therefore impact your time calculations. It is important to consider these variables and make adjustments accordingly.

5. Can I use the same formula for calculating time in all situations?

The formula Time = Distance/Speed is a general formula that can be used in most situations. However, in some cases, such as when calculating time for a round trip or when using different units of measurement, you may need to modify the formula or use a different approach.