Calculate Acceleration of Falling Hammer on Moon | 1-D Kinematics Problem

• Thread starter RubenL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the given conversation discusses the use of the kinematics equation x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2 to solve for acceleration. The purpose of the 1/2 in the equation is derived from calculus and the properties of integration. It represents the integral of t*dt, which is equal to 1/2*t2. This explanation helps clarify the use of the 1/2 in the equation and provides a better understanding of its significance.
RubenL

Homework Statement

An astronaut standing on a platform on the Moon
drops a hammer. If the hammer falls 6.0 meters vertically in 2.7 seconds, what is its acceleration?

Homework Equations

x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2

The Attempt at a Solution

x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2
6=0+.5(a)(2.72)
6=3.7a
a=1.62m/s2

This is a very simple question and easily solvable...however my question is...considering this kinematics equation x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2.
I can understand how all of the variables play within this equation, but i do not understand where the 1/2 comes from (i understand it has to be this way, however), what is the purpose of halving you answer?

(this is wrong, but) why can't the equation be solved like so;

X=6m
Vi=0m/s
t=2.7s
a=?m/s2

6m / 2.7s = 2.2m/s
2.2m/s / 2.7s = .81m/s2

and leave it like so? (like i said i know this is wrong, but i am just trying to figure out why the 1/2 is in the equation)

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not very good at typing in the formulas. But the 1/2 comes from the derivation of the expression you are using, and the properties of calculus.

x=xo+Vot +1/2at2

is derived from v=dx/dt, separate the dx and dt (v*dt=dx) and integrate both sides. You can subsitute v for (vo +at), since you velocity at any time is equal to your initial velocity + your accel*time.

so you now are integrating both sides of dx = (vo +at)dt. When you integrate the second term on the right "a*t", a is constant, so you can pull it out of the integral, then integrate t*dt, which is 1/2*t2. the first term on the right side integrates to vo*t

this whole integral gives you x=vot +1/2at2 +C

When t=0, you find C=xo

so the final expression you are using is x=xo+Vot +1/2at2

hopefully that helps

Last edited:
climb515c said:
Im not very good at typing in the formulas. But the 1/2 comes from the derivation of the expression you are using, and the properties of calculus.

x=xo+Vot +1/2at2

is derived from v=dx/dt, separate the dx and dt (v*dt=dx) and integrate both sides. You can subsitute v for (vo +at), since you velocity at any time is equal to your initial velocity + your accel*time.

so you now are integrating both sides of dx = (vo +at)dt. When you integrate the second term on the right "a*t", a is constant, so you can pull it out of the integral, then integrate t*dt, which is 1/2*t2. the first term on the right side integrates to vo*t

this whole integral gives you x=vot +1/2at2 +C

When t=0, you find C=xo

so the final expression you are using is x=xo+Vot +1/2at2

hopefully that helps

Great! This helps put reason to it. I see i need to get my head into calculus to fully understand. But its clear to me now that there is a mathematical reason behind it.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of a falling object on the moon?

The formula for calculating acceleration of a falling object on the moon is a = g/6, where g is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How does the acceleration of a falling object on the moon compare to that on Earth?

The acceleration of a falling object on the moon is approximately 1/6th of the acceleration on Earth. This is because the moon has a weaker gravitational force compared to Earth.

3. Can the acceleration of a falling object on the moon vary depending on its mass?

No, the acceleration of a falling object on the moon does not depend on its mass. This is because acceleration due to gravity is a constant value for a given celestial body.

4. How can I calculate the acceleration of a falling object on the moon if I know its time and distance?

To calculate acceleration, you need to know the initial and final velocity of the object as well. If you have the time and distance, you can use the formula a = (v_f - v_i)/t to find the acceleration.

5. Is the acceleration of a falling object on the moon affected by air resistance?

No, the acceleration of a falling object on the moon is not affected by air resistance because there is no atmosphere on the moon to create air resistance. This allows objects to fall at a constant rate without air resistance slowing them down.