Calculating 2p to 1s transition energies in hydrogen, deuterium and positronium

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
HastiM
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
I shall calculate the 2p → 1s transition energies for hydrogen, deuterium (one proton plus one neutron in the nucleus), and positronium (bound state of an electron and a positron).

My problem with this exercise is that I couldn't find a formula to calculate the transition energies. Can someone tell me which formula can be used to determine them? Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in my books or the internet. I would appreciate your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
HastiM said:
I shall calculate the 2p → 1s transition energies for hydrogen, deuterium (one proton plus one neutron in the nucleus), and positronium (bound state of an electron and a positron).

My problem with this exercise is that I couldn't find a formula to calculate the transition energies. Can someone tell me which formula can be used to determine them? Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything in my books or the internet. I would appreciate your help.
Energy levels in hydrogenic atoms are, to a first approximation, only dependent on the principal quantum number, n.
Since the question does not consider the spin-orbit splitting of the 2p orbital, which is about an order of magnitude larger than the difference between the 2p and the 2s energy levels for hydrogen, we can you are expected to use the Rydberg equation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: teoul, DrClaude and HastiM