Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hydrogen electron transition intensity 2p - 1s

1. Nov 27, 2016 #1
    Let's say we have a transition from state 2p to 1s of an hydrogen atom's electron. The intensity radiated by the electron is given by I = 4/3 ωfi4 e2/c3 |< f | r | i >|2.

If we take the the | 2 1 1 > → | 1 0 0 > transition for example, we must compute the following integral :

< f | r | i > = C1 ∫∫∫ e-r/a r sin(θ) ei*Φ * e-r/2a sin(theta) r2 sin(θ)dr dθ dΦ

, r = [ 0→ ∞], θ = [0 → pi], Φ = [0 → 2π]

Which can be separated in three integrals (depending on r, θ and Φ respectively). The integral in Φ is

IΦ = ∫ ei*Φ dΦ = 0

, Φ = [0 → 2π]

Which means that < f | r | i > = 0 and that the transition is not allowed.

However in the literature (and logically), this transition is allowed.

I'm not quite sure if it's a comprehension issue or a simple computation error.

Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

You forgot the polarization of the photon. The term in the middle of the integral is not simply r, but ##\mathbf{r} \cdot \mathbf{\epsilon}##. That will add an angular compnent, which can be expressed in terms of ##Y_{1,0}##, ##Y_{1,+1}##, or ##Y_{1,-1}##. The angular part is then the integral of three spherical harmonics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted