Electric field with three charges and a point

In summary: Then use E = F/Q to find the net force.In summary, the conversation discusses two point charges, Q1 and Q2, placed 0.30 m apart on the x-axis. Q1 has a value of -2.50 x 10^-6C, and the net electric field at point P is zero. It is theorized that Q2 is positive in order for the field at point P to be zero. For (b), the magnitude of Q2 is calculated to be 4 x 10^-5C using the equation (-kQ1/R^2) + (kQ2/R^2) = 0. For (c), the x-coordinate of the point where the electric potential is
dbuhtoia
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
z2IOwNJN51k_kVenq_645lfDziPjQ586DR4--Nyvq7BJcZMw54iJnLAbrxgp3ql2Nb1PfifoNfBP3d6BFcrif20g-EsYr6RW.png

refer only to the image above, not the question

4.) Two point charges, Q1 and Q2, are placed 0.30 m apart on the x–axis (shown in the figure above) Charge Q1 has a value of –2.50 x 10–6C. The net electric field at point P is zero.

a. What is the sign of charge Q2? ____ Positive ____ Negative

Justify your answer theoretically (without math)

b. Calculate the magnitude of charge Q2.

c. Determine the x–coordinate of the point on the line between the two charges at which the electric potential is zero. In other words, determine where you could place a third charge into the system in equilibrium. Calculate this x-coordinate distance in relation to the Q1 charge.

d. A third charge (Q3 = 5.7 x 10–6C) is now placed into the system at the 0.60 m mark. Calculate the net electric force on the Q2 charge. Include both the magnitude and direction. I think that Q2 is positive because in order for the field on point P to be zero, the charges have to be opposite.
I need help with B, C, and D. I think that B may be 4X10-5C but I am not sure if I am using the right equation. I am using (-KQ1/R^2)+(KQ2/R^2)=0 but that may not be correct.
im clueless on how to do C and D. Please help in anyway that you can. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For (b) you are using the right equation. Can you show in some detail how you got the answer you posted?
For (c) you need to review electric potential then apply the correct equation.
For (d) if you can find the additinal contribution to the electric field by superposition.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a property of space that describes the force that a charged particle would experience if it were placed at a particular point in space. Electric fields are created by charged objects and can be either attractive or repulsive.

2. How do three charges affect the electric field at a point?

The three charges will create an electric field at the point that is the sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge. The direction and strength of the resulting electric field will depend on the magnitude and relative positions of the charges.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field at a point with three charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field at a point with three charges is E = k * (q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2 + q3/r3^2), where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1, q2, and q3 are the charges, and r1, r2, and r3 are the distances between each charge and the point.

4. How does the presence of a point charge affect the electric field created by three charges?

The point charge will add its own electric field to the electric field created by the three charges. The resulting electric field will be the sum of the electric fields created by the three charges and the point charge.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a point in space, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit charge at a point in space. In other words, electric potential tells us the amount of energy a charged particle would have at a particular point, while electric field tells us the direction and strength of the force that a charged particle would experience at that point.