1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating v from v0, frictional coefficients, and angle

Tags:
  1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    You testify as an expert witness in a case involving an accident in which car A slid into the rear of car B, which was stopped at a red light along a road headed down a hill. You find that the slope of the hill is θ = 12.0°, that the cars were separated by distance d = 23.0 m when the driver of car A put the car into a slide (it lacked any automatic anti-brake-lock system), and that the speed of car A at the onset of braking was v0 = 20.0 m/s. With what speed did car A hit car B if the coefficient of kinetic friction was (a) 0.560 (dry road surface) and (b) 0.190 (road surface covered with wet leaves)?

equations:
    Fn=mg
    Fk=μkFn
    x-xo=vot-(1/2)at^2

attempt at solution:
    Fn=mgcos12
    =(9.8)(cos12)(m)
    =9.59m

fk=μkFn
    fk-mgsin12=ma
    μkgcos12-gsin12=a
    (.560)(9.8)(cos12)-(9.8)(sin12)=a
    a=3.33

x-xo=vot-(1/2)at^2
    23=20t-(1/2)(3.33)t^2
    0=-1.665t^2+20t-23

quadratic formula gave -1.288, -10.72

v=vo+at
    v=20+(-3.33)(1.05)
    v=16.5035

obviously can't have -t so I just plugged in +1.05 into that last equation, but I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong because this was the wrong answer. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which direction are you taking to be the positive direction along the slope? Do both of your signs for the initial velocity and acceleration (in the x equation) agree with your choice of positive direction?

[EDIT: Never mind, I saw a = 3.33 (positive) but you took care of the sign by inserting a negative in the x formula. Sorry]

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you get negative values for t when you solve the quadratic equation? I get positive values.

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4
    Oh--you're right! Recalculated with an online quad formula calculator and it worked. Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook