Calculating Velocity and Time of a Horizontal Projectile

  • Thread starter Thread starter davo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
davo
Messages
38
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A person throws a rock horizontally from the roof of a 50m building. The rock lands 70 m from the base of the building.
How long was the rock in the air in s?

I got 3.194. The online home work thingy (webassign) said I was right.

With what velocity was the rock thrown in m/s?


Homework Equations


I used the Xf equation and solved for time. Dont I just plug in the time i got in the last equation and actualy solve it? Well i tryed that but I just keep getting it wrong.


The Attempt at a Solution


70=-4.9(3.194)^2 + Vo(3.194) Is this right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The way you need to set it up is imagine the rock is simply dropping because the x velocity doesn't matter. So s = vt + 1/2 at^2 s = 50m v = 0 a = 9.8m/s^2
 
djeitnstine said:
The way you need to set it up is imagine the rock is simply dropping because the x velocity doesn't matter. So s = vt + 1/2 at^2 s = 50m v = 0 a = 9.8m/s^2
what does s represent in this?
 
I think i did my algebra wrong because it said it was wrong.

(49.88+50)/3.194= 31.305
 
50 = 0t + 1/2 9.8 t^2 this is the equation, the height 50 is equal to zero plus 1/2 9.8*t^2 (the rock is modeled as only dropping from 50 meters above the ground the x velocity has nothing to do with it)