1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating velocity dispersion of hydrogen atoms in solar photosphere

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. Calculate the velocity dispersion for hydrogen atoms in the solar photosphere, which has a temperature of 5800 K.

2. I know no equations to solve the problem.

3. I have no idea any method of going about solving for velocity dispersion. I would appreciate any guidance. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi neslorelyks, welcome to PF!:smile:

What course is this problem for? Statistical mechanics perhaps? Introductory astrophysics?

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    I am taking an astrophysics course. Thanks for the reply. I need some guidance about how to go about solving any velocity dispersion problem. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how well it applies to a gas as hot as the Hydrogen in the solar photosphere, but you might want to look up the "Maxwell distribution" in your textbook for starters:wink:

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook