1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating Velocity Using Power

1. Jul 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The problem I'm working on gives the total power (100 W) that will be exerted by a man (80 kg) climbing a set of stairs(r = 8mi + 4mj). It would like to know at what constant velocity he would have to move to achieve the given power.

2. Relevant equations
    P=dU/dt=F•dr/dt=FV

3. The attempt at a solution

The difficulty I'm having is if he is moving with constant velocity there would be no acceleration and thus no force. So how could there be any power generated? I attempted to find the force the man would have to exert to overcome the force of gravity, which I found to be equivalent to the force of gravity (since they would have to sum to zero). But, when I use this I get a velocity that doesnt make sense (.2849 m/s). Have I got the wrong concept?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But there is a force. It's called gravity.

Compute the rate at which he gains potential energy as he climbs the stairs at a rate of 100W. This will equal mg dh/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted