Calculating Velocity Using Power

In summary, the problem involves finding the constant velocity at which a man would have to move to generate 100W of power while climbing a set of stairs. The equation used is P=dU/dt=F•dr/dt=F•V. The difficulty lies in the concept that if the man is moving with constant velocity, there would be no acceleration and therefore no force. However, there is still a force present, which is gravity. To solve the problem, the potential energy gained by the man as he climbs the stairs at a rate of 100W is computed, which is equal to mg dh/dt.
thedude36

Homework Statement

The problem I'm working on gives the total power (100 W) that will be exerted by a man (80 kg) climbing a set of stairs(r = 8mi + 4mj). It would like to know at what constant velocity he would have to move to achieve the given power.

Homework Equations

P=dU/dt=F•dr/dt=FV

The Attempt at a Solution

The difficulty I'm having is if he is moving with constant velocity there would be no acceleration and thus no force. So how could there be any power generated? I attempted to find the force the man would have to exert to overcome the force of gravity, which I found to be equivalent to the force of gravity (since they would have to sum to zero). But, when I use this I get a velocity that doesn't make sense (.2849 m/s). Have I got the wrong concept?

Physics news on Phys.org
thedude36 said:

Homework Statement

The problem I'm working on gives the total power (100 W) that will be exerted by a man (80 kg) climbing a set of stairs(r = 8mi + 4mj). It would like to know at what constant velocity he would have to move to achieve the given power.

Homework Equations

P=dU/dt=F•dr/dt=FV

The Attempt at a Solution

The difficulty I'm having is if he is moving with constant velocity there would be no acceleration and thus no force. So how could there be any power generated? I attempted to find the force the man would have to exert to overcome the force of gravity, which I found to be equivalent to the force of gravity (since they would have to sum to zero). But, when I use this I get a velocity that doesn't make sense (.2849 m/s). Have I got the wrong concept?

But there is a force. It's called gravity.

Compute the rate at which he gains potential energy as he climbs the stairs at a rate of 100W. This will equal mg dh/dt.

1. How is velocity calculated using power?

Velocity can be calculated using power by dividing the power by the product of the mass and acceleration of the object. The formula for this is velocity = power / (mass x acceleration).

2. Is power the same as force?

No, power and force are different quantities. Power is the rate at which work is done, while force is a push or pull on an object. Power is measured in watts, while force is measured in newtons.

3. Can power be negative in velocity calculations?

Yes, power can be negative in velocity calculations. This would indicate that the object is losing energy and slowing down.

4. How does the direction of power affect velocity calculations?

The direction of power does not affect velocity calculations, as velocity is a scalar quantity and does not have a direction. However, the direction of power can affect the direction of the object's acceleration, which in turn can affect its velocity.

5. Can velocity be calculated without knowing the power?

Yes, velocity can be calculated without knowing the power. This can be done by using the formula velocity = distance / time, where distance and time are known. However, in order to calculate velocity using power, the power of the object must be known.