Understanding Power Calculation: 1.5MW vs 1.47MW Explained

• Thread starter Bix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power for a moving train and the discrepancy between two calculated values. The conversation also mentions the relationship between power and gravity and questions the impact of vertical gravity on the speed of a horizontally moving train.
Bix
Homework Statement
'Find the max power of a train engine travelling level at 50 metres per second if total resistance to motion is 30 KiloNewtons.
Relevant Equations
'Find the max power of a train engine travelling level at 50 metres per second if total resistance to motion is 30 KiloNewtons.
In answer to this I get power = force times velocity so 30000 x 50 = 1500000 = 1.5 Mega Watts. My answer book says 1.47 Mega Watts. I can see how 1.5MW minus 30KW = 1500000 - 30000 = 1.47MW. Also I can see that power times gravity of 9.8 = 1.5 MW times 9.8 N gives the same answer. I can't see how you should subtract the force from the sum of the force and the distance, or how vertical gravity can reduce the speed of a horizontally moving train. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Locked as a duplicate of another post.

1. What is power calculation and why is it important?

Power calculation is the process of determining the amount of energy or work that can be produced or consumed by a particular system. It is important because it allows us to accurately measure and compare the efficiency and performance of different systems.

2. What is the difference between 1.5MW and 1.47MW?

The difference between 1.5MW and 1.47MW is 0.03MW, which is equivalent to 30 kilowatts (kW). This may seem like a small difference, but in terms of power output, it can have a significant impact on the performance and efficiency of a system.

3. How is power calculated?

Power is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I). In the case of electrical systems, this can be represented by the equation P=VI. For example, if a system has a voltage of 100 volts and a current of 10 amps, the power output would be 1000 watts (W) or 1 kilowatt (kW).

4. What factors can affect power calculation?

There are several factors that can affect power calculation, including the type of system, the efficiency of the system, and external factors such as temperature and altitude. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating power to ensure accuracy.

5. Why are there sometimes discrepancies between predicted power output and actual power output?

There can be discrepancies between predicted power output and actual power output due to various reasons, such as equipment malfunctions, weather conditions, and human error. It is important to regularly monitor and maintain systems to ensure they are operating at their optimal level and to account for any external factors that may affect power output.