1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculating volume between two paraboloids

1. Apr 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A volume is enclosed by the plane z = 0 and the inverted paraboloid, z = 6 − r2 (expressed in cylindrical coordinates). Find the volume and its surface area.

Hence, using a suitable linear transformation, find the volume of the region enclosed between the surfaces z = ax^2 +by^2 and z = 6−cx^2 −dy^2 where a, b, c and d are positive constants

2. Relevant equations
    below

3. The attempt at a solution
    So Ive managed to do the first part (Photo of my working will be below), but am now struggling to calculate the volume between the two paraboloids. I thought of one possible parameterisation in which u^2=b/a x^2 and v^2=d/c x^2 so that I transform the two elliptical paraboloids into regular ones, but this would mean I have a 4-dimentional coordinate system, which is obviously not correct. Its mainly the parameterisation I'm struggling with

Many thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2016 #2
    My working- Part 2

Attached Files:

4. Apr 7, 2016 #3
    My working- Part 1

Attached Files:

5. Apr 8, 2016 #4
    I was thinking- maybe I could subtract them and let u=sqrt(a+c)x, v= sqrt(b+d) y ? I couldn't make it work- but is that along the right lines? Many thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted