What is the Volume Between Two Paraboloids?

• Thread starter damoj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the two given paraboloids are z = 18 + x^2 + y^2 and z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 + 10. The intersection of the two is at 4 = x^2 + y^2, which is the radius of the paraboloids at that point. The volume between the two paraboloids is calculated as the volume of the first paraboloid from z = 18 to z = 22, where x^2 + y^2 = 4. However, the correct answer is found by subtracting the volume of the second paraboloid from z = 10 to z = 22 from the previously calculated volume. This can
damoj
We have two paraboloids
z = 18 + x^2 + y^2
and z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 + 10

i know that the intersection of the two is where
18 + x^2 + y^2 = 3x^2 + 3y^2 + 10

which gives us 4= x^2 + y^2 which is the radius of the paraboloids at that intersection.
we find that the intersection is at z = 22 by substituting 4 for the x^2 + y^2 in both equations

It seems to me that the volume between the two paraboloids show be the volume of the paraboloid z = 18 + x^2 + y^2 from z=18 (there x^2 + y^2 = 0) to z= 22(where x^2 + y^2 = 4)

which would give us 0.5pi r^2 h
which would give us 0.5 pi 4^2 4 = 32pi
but the answer is 16pi

i know that to solve it normally you would use a double integral with polar coordinates
but i can't figure out why the volume isn't the volume of the first paraboloid from z= 18 to z= 22

can someone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
won't it be the volume of z = 3x^2 + 3y^2 + 10, from z=10 to 22 minus the volume you described for z = 18 + x^2 + y^2

also try drawing a cross section to help visualise what is going on

yeah you're right
i realized that after i posted.

interesting that a calc 3 problem on a past exam that can be solved with basic algebra and geometry, ha:)

Related to What is the Volume Between Two Paraboloids?

What is the formula for finding the volume between two paraboloids?

The formula for finding the volume between two paraboloids is V = ∫[a,b]π(R^2-r^2)dx, where R is the radius of the larger paraboloid, r is the radius of the smaller paraboloid, and a and b are the limits of integration.

Can you explain the concept of paraboloids and how they relate to finding volume?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a parabola. It is formed by rotating a parabola around its axis. When finding the volume between two paraboloids, we are essentially finding the volume of the space between two paraboloids when they intersect.

How do you determine the limits of integration when finding the volume between two paraboloids?

The limits of integration can be determined by finding the points of intersection between the two paraboloids. These points will serve as the limits for the integral.

Is it possible for the volume between two paraboloids to be negative?

No, the volume between two paraboloids cannot be negative. The volume is always a positive value as it represents the amount of space between the two paraboloids.

What are some real-life applications of finding the volume between two paraboloids?

Finding the volume between two paraboloids can be useful in engineering and architecture for determining the capacity of containers or the amount of material needed for construction. It can also be applied in physics and calculus for solving problems involving paraboloids.