Calculating Water Flow Duration in Cylinder Reservoir

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Pzi
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Hello.

Homework Statement


There is a vertical cylinder-shaped reservoir full of water:
Height h = 18 meters
Radius R = 2 meters
If suddenly a hole appeared on the bottom (radius r = 0.25 meters) how long would it take to empty the reservoir?


Homework Equations


Probably related to Bernoulli's principle somehow someway.


The Attempt at a Solution


To be honest with you I just reposted this problem from elsewhere. Some girl tried to solve it and since I am a pure mathematician I pretty much do not have a clue about those things. Tried to google it, but without proper knowledge did not succeed.
Some kind of powerful formula and basic steps would be appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli is the key. His principle gives you the speed of the water exiting the orifice, hence the flow rate and rate of change of velocity in the tank. [EDIT: I meant change of VOLUME, not change of velocity!].

Essentially, for a depth of water h above the opening, the velocity of the water will be given by [itex]\sqrt{2 g h}[/itex] .

With the flow rate and opening size you can construct the differential equation for the volume of water in the tank.
 
Last edited:
gneill said:
Bernoulli is the key. His principle gives you the speed of the water exiting the orifice, hence the flow rate and rate of change of velocity in the tank.

Essentially, for a depth of water h above the opening, the velocity of the water will be given by [itex]\sqrt{2 g h}[/itex] .

With the flow rate and opening size you can construct the differential equation for the volume of water in the tank.

So it seems that I am supposed to solve this
[PLAIN]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6712/eqn9284.png

Can you confirm?
 
Last edited by a moderator: