Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of Counterbalance Mass

1. Apr 28, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I've been grappling with a calculation that appears to give me a good result, however my gut feeling says other wise. Could someone please check the layout and possibly confirm my final answer. Attached is the layout of the system.

The system: -There is a long arm, d1+d2 is one link. then end of d2 to m2 is the second link.
    -m2 is constrained in all directions except vertical up/down movement. (by putting the mass on a linear shaft with linear bearings)
    The goal is to calculate m2, everything else is given, and Theta is a variable.

my final answer i reach to is: m2= (m1)*(d1/d2)*(1/2)

The point is that it seems that the mass of object two is independent of the angle. and can be fixed, however I have a feeling that tells me that its not that simple.

I can also upload how I got the final answer, but I'd prefer to see how others would tackle the situation.

Any help is appreciated.
    Many Thanks!.

Attached Files:

• cB.PDF
      cB.PDF
      File size:
      39.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I agree with your answer.
    The mechanics require both instances of ##\theta## to be the same, increasing the angle lowers m2 by ##2d_2 \cos(\theta) d\theta## and raises m1 by ##d_1 \cos(\theta) d\theta##. That leads to balance with the condition you posted.

4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    Excellent! Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook