1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculations in developing an Electrostatic Series

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Lab: rub each of a set of hard materials against a set of soft materials. Hold the hard materials near a suspended, negatively charged comb (wool rubbed) to determine the charge polarity and strength on the hard item. Create a list of the hard and soft items used in order of electronegativity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I qualitatively measured the attraction or repulsion between the charged items and the negatively charged comb with a rating from 0-20 in strength, this is recorded in a table.
    Note that only the hard objects were held near the suspended comb and tested, in the Table 2.0 the soft objects have the attraction and repulsion amounts found in their sums from Table 1.0 switched because this is what they would have shown if held to the comb, since they gave or took the charge from the hard items.

The problem: One hard object, a second comb, used as one of the hard objects, attracts the comb when rubbed by some soft items and repels the comb when rubbed by other soft items. I reconciled this by taking the difference between the amount of attraction and repulsion between the comb and that object. Is there a better way I can do this calculation to determine the electronegativity?

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2009 #2
    im having probelms with answering the question: if you were to replace the suspened comb with a metal fork or spoon do you think your observations would be different? explain why or why not?

someone please help me that doing the same thing. iv already dont this experiment and some help would be helpful

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    I am doing the same lab. Are you doing an independent study course as well? How is the marker? is he tough?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?