Uncharged object between two charged plates

In summary: If the plates are not parallel, then the electric field is not homogeneous. In summary, if the plates are close to each other, the electric field is homogeneous.
Biker

Homework Statement

Imagine if you have two charged plates which have the same magnitude but opposite in charges.
If you place an uncharged object near of the positive plate what will happen?

Homework Equations

I don't think it depends on equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so If you rub a balloon with your hair, it will gain a negative charge. If you place that balloon really close to really small pieces of paper, It will attract them because the balloon will repel the electrons away from it and the protons don't move so the object will be polarized ( I am pretty sure that I can't say that this effect split the electrons and protons into two different sides equally , can I?)
So the negative charge will attract the protons more than it will attract the electrons because the protons are much closer to it than the electrons. So that will result in a net force to the balloon.

Now back to the question
If I place the uncharged object near the positive plate, the opposite of the above will happen. However, The negative charged plate will attract the protons and the positive plate will repel the protons in the same direction
and the same thing will happen to the electrons but opposite.

The answer in my book was that the uncharged object won't move. But what I think if we assume that it won't move we are just saying that the (distance) between the repelled electrons and attracted protons is just zero which proves that the first idea is wrong.So, What is really happening here?

Thanks in advance.
-Biker

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a difference between the field from a charged sphere and the field between parallel plates. As you say, the electrons in the object will be attracted towards the positive plate, but what does that mean regarding the interaction with the negative plate?

haruspex said:
There's a difference between the field from a charged sphere and the field between parallel plates. As you say, the electrons in the object will be attracted towards the positive plate, but what does that mean regarding the interaction with the negative plate?
Sorry, I didn't get your question. Could you explain what you mean?

The positive plate will attract electrons and the negative plate will repel electrons, But also I have to take into account that the positive plate will repel protons and the negative plate will also attract protons. If that is what you mean

The force of the negative plate will be weaker (because it increases the distance) than the force of the positive plate but they are in the same direction

Last edited:
Biker said:
The force of the negative plate will be weaker (because it increases the distance) than the force of the positive plate but they are in the same direction
If the plates are parallel and close to each other, the electric field is homogeneous between them.

Likes Biker

1. What is an uncharged object between two charged plates?

An uncharged object between two charged plates refers to a scenario in which a neutral object is placed between two plates with opposite charges. This creates an electric field that can exert a force on the neutral object.

2. What happens to an uncharged object between two charged plates?

The neutral object will experience a force due to the electric field created by the charged plates. The direction of the force will depend on the polarity of the plates and the charge of the object.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field and force on the uncharged object?

The closer the plates are to each other, the stronger the electric field will be and the greater the force on the uncharged object will be. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field and force will decrease.

4. Can an uncharged object become charged when placed between two charged plates?

Yes, depending on the material of the object and the strength of the electric field, the neutral object can become charged. This is known as induction, where the object becomes polarized and acquires a net charge.

5. How does the orientation of the uncharged object between the charged plates affect the force on the object?

The force on the uncharged object will vary depending on its orientation between the charged plates. If the object is parallel to the plates, it will experience a stronger force compared to if it is perpendicular to the plates.