Calculations involving freefall

In summary: Yeah, it's not the best thing to do :s but I have no idea where my priorities are well..that and my time management skills I have put off doing physics homework until today :S. Hopefully all my questions can be answered on the forums by tomorrow. Its just I feel that I don't have the trained mindset for physics just yet, and actually not learning kinematics scares me for what's to come especially since I want to be an engineer.
SPH4UJS

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher throws a ball vertically upward and catches it at the same level 4.2s later

a) with what velocity did the pitcher throw the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put this into givens

t = 4.2 s
displacement = 0 m if the ball goes up and then comes back at the same level I figured it has a displacement of 0

acceleration = -9.81 m/s

Vf = 0 m/s since it goes up then reaches a climax and it was already thrown with an initial velocity that you are trying to find

so I decided to use the vf = vi + a(t)

so.. then I rearranged it so that it was

vf - ( a ) ( t ) = vi

which gave me

-(-9.81)(4.2) = vi

and then I got 41.2 but that's not the right answer :S so I am not sure if its just that I am using a wrong equation or that I have the wrong givens I don't know exactly what I am doing wrong please point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
SPH4UJS said:

Homework Statement

A baseball pitcher throws a ball vertically upward and catches it at the same level 4.2s later

a) with what velocity did the pitcher throw the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put this into givens

t = 4.2 s
displacement = 0 m if the ball goes up and then comes back at the same level I figured it has a displacement of 0

acceleration = -9.81 m/s

Vf = 0 m/s since it goes up then reaches a climax and it was already thrown with an initial velocity that you are trying to find

so I decided to use the vf = vi + a(t)

so.. then I rearranged it so that it was

vf - ( a ) ( t ) = vi

which gave me

-(-9.81)(4.2) = vi

and then I got 41.2 but that's not the right answer :S so I am not sure if its just that I am using a wrong equation or that I have the wrong givens I don't know exactly what I am doing wrong please point me in the right direction.

With y representing the vertical direction you might want to take a look at

[tex] y = y_o + v_o t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2 [/tex]

Remember that your using vf as 0 which is at its climax. The time you used is for the total time (up and down) not just the time to get to the climax.

Last edited:
Alright I got the answer thank you very much. Also I have a test tommorow on this whole kinematics unit and so far I know ab out half what would be my best bet? Should I just keep doing questions until I know them all and asking for help if I can't figure it out myself? I really want to do well as I did so poorly on the quiz :S.

SPH4UJS said:
Alright I got the answer thank you very much. Also I have a test tommorow on this whole kinematics unit and so far I know ab out half what would be my best bet? Should I just keep doing questions until I know them all and asking for help if I can't figure it out myself? I really want to do well as I did so poorly on the quiz :S.

50 years of experience has taught me that the best bet is NOT to put off studying until the night before the exam!

AEM said:
50 years of experience has taught me that the best bet is NOT to put off studying until the night before the exam!

Yeah, it's not the best thing to do :s but I have no idea where my priorities are well..that and my time management skills I have put off doing physics homework until today :S. Hopefully all my questions can be answered on the forums by tomorrow. Its just I feel that I don't have the trained mindset for physics just yet, and actually not learning kinematics scares me for what's to come especially since I want to be an engineer. Btw thank you very much for your help as well as Imperitor.

1. What is freefall?

Freefall is the motion of an object or body when it is only subjected to the force of gravity. This means that the object is falling without any other forces acting on it, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How do I calculate the time of freefall?

The time of freefall can be calculated using the equation t = √(2h/g), where t is the time in seconds, h is the height in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

3. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object in freefall?

The velocity of an object in freefall can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds.

4. How does air resistance affect freefall calculations?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect freefall calculations by slowing down the rate at which an object falls. This means that the time and velocity calculations may be slightly inaccurate, especially for objects with a large surface area or light weight.

5. What is terminal velocity and how does it relate to freefall?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach while falling due to the balance between gravity pulling it down and air resistance pushing it up. This can affect freefall calculations, as the velocity will not continue to increase as the object falls, but rather will level off at the terminal velocity.