1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 1 finding absolute max and min

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1
    A University of Rochester student decided to depart from Earth after his graduation to find work on Mars. Before building a shuttle, he conducted careful calculations. A model for the velocity of the shuttle, from liftoff at t = 0 s until the solid rocket boosters were jettisoned at t = 79.2 s, is given by

v(t)=0.001397167t3−0.080965t2+16.02t−039

(in feet per second). Using this model, estimate
    the absolute maximum value
    and absolute minimum value (I found this through using Wolfram Alpha I don't understand how I get it though which is a problem)
    of the acceleration of the shuttle between liftoff and the jettisoning of the boosters.

I got the derivative to be

v'(t)= 0.004191201t2-0.16193t+16.02

I imagine that I would have to find the critical points of this to get the max and min

So I used the quadriatic formula but I am getting imaginary numbers when I do this so I am having trouble coming up with the absolute maximum and minimum any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I assume you're looking for the absolute maximum value of the velocity.

For v(t), why do you have 039 as the constant term? Is that 39 or is there a decimal point missing in it?

Your v'(t) looks about right, and I find also that the solutions to v'(t) = 0 are complex, meaning that there are no real solutions to v'(t) = 0. This means that v'(t) > 0 for all t or that v'(t) < 0 for all t (not likely).

Since there are no times for which v'(t) = 0, to find the maximum and minimum values of v(t), check the endpoints of your domain, which is implied in your problem description.

4. Oct 24, 2009 #3
    it is supposed to be 0.39 instead of 39. I will try that what you suggest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook