Calculus 1 text book - Need review of precalculus

In summary, the individual is taking calculus 1 but has not taken precalculus in several years. They are having difficulty with the precalculus review questions and are wondering how important it is to have a strong understanding of precalculus for the course. The course covers calculus of functions of one variable, derivatives of algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions, differentiation techniques and applications, and techniques of integration. The textbook being used is Calculus: Early Transcendentals (3rd edition) and the individual also has other resources such as Schaum's Outline and Calculus for Dummies, but none of them cover precalculus. The individual is reassured that they will intuitively review precalculus concepts while learning
Arnoldjavs3
Hi, so I'm taking calculus 1 this year however I haven't taken precalculus in several years. I don't remember any of it, and the textbook of the course doesn't review it at all(they just sample you questions) and I'm having issues solving the precalculus review questions(how necessary is it that I even make sure my precalculus is in tip-top shape? would i get by just fine if i ignore it or what)

Here is the course description:
Calculus of functions of one variable and related numerical topics. Derivatives of algebraic, trigonometric and exponential functions. Differentiation techniques and applications of derivatives. Techniques of integration, numerical integration.

The textbook we're using is Calculus: Early Transcendentals(3rd edition)
I have shaum's outline Calculus(6th edition) and Calculus for dummies(2nd edition) however none of this outlines the precalculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have a good grasp of all the basic functions you learned in high school: exponentials, logarithms, ttrigonometric... But I don't think you should worry too much with that (trying to be tip-top shape, like you said). You will intuitively review all of that while learning calculus concepts, anyway.

ramzerimar said:
You should have a good grasp of all the basic functions you learned in high school: exponentials, logarithms, ttrigonometric... But I don't think you should worry too much with that (trying to be tip-top shape, like you said). You will intuitively review all of that while learning calculus concepts, anyway.
Thank the lord, I had remembered I did very poorly in advanced functions however I nailed the intro to calculus course. Quite funny in my eyes

1. What topics should I review in precalculus before starting a Calculus 1 course?

Before starting a Calculus 1 course, it is recommended to review topics such as functions, graphing, algebraic manipulation, trigonometry, and logarithms. These topics will provide a strong foundation for understanding the concepts in Calculus 1.

2. How should I approach reviewing precalculus material for a Calculus 1 course?

The best approach for reviewing precalculus material is to start with the basics and gradually move on to more complex topics. It is important to practice solving problems and understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

3. Are there any online resources for reviewing precalculus before a Calculus 1 course?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MathisFun that offer comprehensive review materials for precalculus. These resources include video lessons, practice problems, and interactive activities to help reinforce the concepts.

4. How much time should I spend reviewing precalculus before starting a Calculus 1 course?

The amount of time you should spend reviewing precalculus depends on your current understanding and comfort level with the material. It is recommended to spend at least 2-3 weeks reviewing precalculus before starting a Calculus 1 course, but this can vary for each individual.

5. Are there any recommended study strategies for reviewing precalculus before a Calculus 1 course?

Some recommended study strategies for reviewing precalculus include creating a study schedule, practicing problems regularly, seeking help from a tutor or classmate, and making use of online resources. It is also important to stay organized and take notes while reviewing to help with retention of the material.