1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus 2: Sequence Limits Question to the power n?

1. May 3, 2013 #1
    Calculus 2: Sequence Limits Question to the power n??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limits (if it exists) to decide which sequences, whose nth term is given below.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex](\frac{3^{n}-4^{n}}{3n^{2}+4^{n}+7})[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done a few of these but as Soon as the constants were raised to the n. It pretty much stumped me. I haven't done stuff like this yet and I'm sort of self teaching.

I would appreciate some direction rather than an answer. Thanks!

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Notice the quantity in your numerator is always smaller than zero.

Notice your denominator is growing without bound.

So what does the whole thing tend to as n → ∞?

4. May 3, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As n grows, exponentials, numbers to the n power, will increase faster than n to a power. And, of course, a larger base will increase faster than a smaller base. That means that [tex]4^n[/tex] will 'dominate' here.

Divide each term in numerator and denominator by [itex]4^n[/itex] to get
    [tex]\frac{\left(\frac{3}{4}\right)^n- 1}{3\frac{n^2}{4^n}+ 1+ \frac{7}{4^n}}[/tex]

Now, what does each of those fractions go to?

5. May 3, 2013 #4
    0? I got 0 to start of with but the answer is -1. If that's what you are implying. I have no idea how to mathematically arrive at the answer -1.

6. May 3, 2013 #5
    Negative 1. Got it! I've never done the 'Dominate Term' Approach. Should this be the first approach to consider when doing limits of sequences?

What's the first things I should consider when I approach questions like this in the future? (Whats the checklist to look out for)

Thanks man by the way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted