Calculus limit and sequence Question

In summary, Thomas attempted to find a solution to a homework problem but needed assistance. He showed that for every K there exists a value of n such that the sequence is larger than K. Additionally, he showed that the sequence is increasing monotonically.
mr.tea

Homework Statement

prove: [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} {\frac{n!}{2^n}}=\infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

Def. of a limit

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to know if my solution is right or not. I think it is right but I would like to get a feedback. Please do not give me the answer, just directions/hints/things to think about, etc.

I need to show that for every (let's assume) positive natural number K (because I am going positively large, so negative numbers are not reasonable), I need to show that the sequence is larger then K from some place.

I thought to use the K I will be given to prove it. So I tried to find when:

[tex] \frac{K!}{2^K}>K [/tex]

and I have: [tex]\leftrightarrow K!>K*2^K \leftrightarrow (K-1)!>2^K [/tex]

And this is true for all K>=6. The proof is by induction(please feel free to correct me if I am wrong).

So, we take the max(K,7) and then it is true.

What do you think? (This is just a draft, so it will be more formal).

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not sufficient to prove that the sequence exceeds every K for some element. Imagine the sequence 0, 1, 0, 2, 0, 3, 0, 4, ... - it will do the same, but it does not have infinity as limit.

In addition to what you have shown, you can also show that the sequence is increasing monotonically. Alternatively, show that the elements of the sequence are larger than K not only for element n=K but for all beyond that (K+1, K+2, ...) as well

Likes mr.tea
Thank you.
I don't know how I forgot about the monotonically of the sequence(proved it but left it out for some reason).

If I knew how to show that the elements of the sequence are larger than K and beyond, I would prefer this solution, because I think it should be easier, but could not find the way to do this. Hints or ways to think about that would be great.

Thank you again!
Thomas

Well, once you know that the sequence is increasing monotonically and ##\frac{K!}{2^K}>K##, then ##\frac{n!}{2^n}>K## for n>K is a direct consequence.

f(n)=n-10 as lower bound would work as well, the limit of this sequence is obvious.

I don't know what kind of proof they are looking for, but you could just argue by which value is greater, the limit of the numerator as n->inf or the limit of the denominator as n->inf

YoshiMoshi said:
I don't know what kind of proof they are looking for, but you could just argue by which value is greater, the limit of the numerator as n->inf or the limit of the denominator as n->inf
No, that's not valid. Both limits are infinite.
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} n! = \infty$$
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} 2^n = \infty$$

oh sorry, it's been a while since calc 1, but I thought there was something that since the numerator approaches infinity faster than the denominator that the limit would tend to inf instead of zero?

YoshiMoshi said:
oh sorry, it's been a while since calc 1, but I thought there was something that since the numerator approaches infinity faster than the denominator that the limit would tend to inf instead of zero?
Since the OP needs to prove that the limit of the fraction is ∞, the numerator would have to get large more quickly than the denominator, but taking the limits of the numerator and denominator aren't necessarily helpful, and especially so in this case.

Thank you all!

In the end I have decided to also show that the sequence is increasing monotonically.

Thank you all again for helping me.

Thomas.

Likes mfb

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is the value that a function approaches as the input (or independent variable) approaches a certain value. It is represented by the symbol "lim" and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, rationalizing, and simplifying. You can also use graphical methods by looking at the behavior of the function on a graph. Additionally, you can use the limit laws, which are rules that help evaluate limits of more complex functions.

3. What is a sequence in calculus?

A sequence in calculus is a list of numbers that are ordered according to a specific pattern or rule. It is usually denoted by the symbol "an" and is written in the form a1, a2, a3, ... where the subscript n represents the position of the term in the sequence.

4. How do you determine the limit of a sequence?

The limit of a sequence can be determined by finding the limit of the function that generates the sequence. This can be done using the same methods as finding the limit of a function, such as algebraic methods, graphical methods, and the limit laws. Alternatively, you can use the definition of a limit for sequences, which states that the limit exists if the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to a single value as n gets larger.

5. Why are limits and sequences important in calculus?

Limits and sequences are important in calculus because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their values at specific points. They are also used to solve problems involving rates of change, continuity, and optimization. Additionally, limits and sequences are essential in the development of more advanced concepts in calculus, such as derivatives and integrals.