Calculus 3 introduction to cross product

In summary, the cross product vector in 3 dimensions is not a resultant vector and is not similar to displacement. It is always perpendicular to the two original vectors and can be thought of as measuring the area of the parallelogram defined by the two vectors. It can also be defined as satisfying the Jacobi identity, rather than being associative. The dot product measures how parallel two vectors are, while the cross product measures how perpendicular they are.
lonewolf219
Just learning about vectors in 3 dimensions. Would it be correct to think of the cross product vector like a resultant vector? Is it similar to the displacement? If so, why is it always 90 degrees from both original vectors?

If anyone has some deeper insight into any of these vector topics I would appreciate it. Also, I'm wondering what the dot product is actually measuring. And what the relationship is beteen the cosine of dot product and the sine of cross product...

THANK YOU!

Physics news on Phys.org
lonewolf219 said:
Just learning about vectors in 3 dimensions. Would it be correct to think of the cross product vector like a resultant vector? Is it similar to the displacement? If so, why is it always 90 degrees from both original vectors?

If anyone has some deeper insight into any of these vector topics I would appreciate it. Also, I'm wondering what the dot product is actually measuring. And what the relationship is beteen the cosine of dot product and the sine of cross product...

THANK YOU!

In order...

No, the cross product is not a resultant vector, at least not as I understand the term. As I understand it, the resultant vector is a sum of two other vectors. Or more.

I'm not sure if it'd be similar to the displacement, myself. That depends on what you mean by displacement.

The cross product is always orthogonal to the two vectors being cross producted because that's how it's defined. As for what they're measuring...

The magnitude of the cross product can be thought of as measuring the area of the parallelogram defined by its two component vectors. Picture below:

220px-Cross_product_parallelogram.svg.png

As you can see, the cross product vector itself will always be orthogonal to that parallelogram.

Another way to define the cross product is to define
1) [itex]\vec{i}\times\vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex]
2) [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex]
3) [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{k}[/itex]

and defining it to be associative, distributive, and anti-commutative so
that [itex](a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k})\times(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})= a\vec{i}\times(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})+ b\vec{j}\times(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})+ c\vec{k}(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})[/itex]

Another way to think about it is that, while the (absolute value of the) dot product tells you "how parallel" two vectors are, the (magnitude of the) cross product tells you "how perpendicular" two vectors are.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Hmm, the angle of how parallel and the angle of how perpendicular. That's interesting!

HallsofIvy said:
Another way to define the cross product is to define
1) [itex]\vec{i}\times\vec{j}= \vec{k}[/itex]
2) [itex]\vec{j}\times\vec{k}= \vec{i}[/itex]
3) [itex]\vec{k}\times\vec{i}= \vec{k}[/itex]

and defining it to be [strike]associative[/strike], distributive, and anti-commutative so
that [itex](a\vec{i}+ b\vec{j}+ c\vec{k})\times(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})= a\vec{i}\times(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})+ b\vec{j}\times(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})+ c\vec{k}(u\vec{i}+ v\vec{j}+ w\vec{k})[/itex]
There's one word too many in that sentence. The cross product isn't associative. It satisfies the Jacobi identity instead: a×(b×c)+b×(c×a)+c×(a×b)=0.

1. What is the purpose of the cross product in Calculus 3?

The cross product in Calculus 3 is used to find a vector that is perpendicular to two given vectors in three-dimensional space. This is important in many applications, such as calculating torque and determining the area of a parallelogram.

2. How is the cross product different from the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are two different ways of multiplying vectors. The dot product results in a scalar while the cross product results in a vector. Additionally, the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors, while the dot product can be calculated for any number of dimensions.

3. What is the mathematical formula for calculating the cross product?

The cross product of two vectors a and b is given by the formula a x b = (a2b3 - a3b2, a3b1 - a1b3, a1b2 - a2b1). This can also be written using the determinant notation: a x b = |
a1 a2 a3
b1 b2 b3
|

4. Can the cross product be calculated for more than two vectors?

No, the cross product is only defined for two vectors in three-dimensional space. However, the cross product can be calculated for each pair of vectors in a set of three or more vectors, resulting in a new vector for each pair.

5. How is the cross product related to the angle between two vectors?

The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them. This relationship can be written as |a x b| = |a||b|sin(θ), where θ is the angle between vectors a and b.