Calculus and Vectors - Limits and Derivatives

In summary, a limit in calculus is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. To find the limit of a function, you can use methods such as direct substitution, factoring, and rationalization. The derivative of a function represents the rate of change at a specific point and can be found using the definition of the derivative or rules of differentiation. Calculus and vectors are closely related, with calculus providing the tools to analyze and manipulate vector quantities, and vectors providing a geometric interpretation of calculus concepts.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
Find the value of k.
I solved it, but would it help to justify if I mentioned the fact that k can be any non-zero real value?
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_3861.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
Homework Statement:: Find the value of k.
I solved it, but would it help to justify if I mentioned the fact that k can be any non-zero real value?
Relevant Equations:: n/a

View attachment 261336
I agree with your conclusion, but you work leading to that is incorrect. ##5*3^2 \ne 75##.

Mark44 said:
I agree with your conclusion, but you work leading to that is incorrect. ##5*3^2 \ne 75##.
whoops, it's supposed to be 65/k. Thank you!

1. What is a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input values get closer and closer to a specific value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches, or "approaches", as the input values get closer to the specific value. Limits are essential in understanding the behavior of functions and are used to define continuity, derivatives, and integrals.

2. How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use algebraic techniques such as direct substitution or factoring. You can also use graphical methods, such as using a graphing calculator or plotting the function on a graph to see the behavior as the input values approach the specific value. Another method is to use the limit laws, which are rules that allow you to simplify or evaluate limits algebraically.

3. What is a derivative in calculus?

A derivative in calculus is a measure of how a function changes as its input values change. It is defined as the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on a curve. In other words, it represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. Derivatives are used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and curve sketching.

4. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the definition of a derivative, which involves finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the curve. You can also use derivative rules, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, to find the derivative of more complex functions. Additionally, you can use technology, such as a graphing calculator or computer software, to find derivatives numerically or symbolically.

5. What is the relationship between calculus and vectors?

Calculus and vectors are closely related as vectors can be used to represent and solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration. Calculus is used to find the derivative of a vector function, which represents the rate of change of a vector over time. Vectors are also used in multivariable calculus to represent and solve problems involving functions with multiple variables.