Calculus Based Textbook that isn't Halliday

In summary, a calculus-based physics textbook would be good, but you'll also need to work on your maths skills.
Vorde
Hello all,

I am looking for a good calculus-based textbook to self-teach Physics 1 from. I have Halliday but I find it slow-going and too tedious for me, not in depth but in repetition. I have already taken a Physics 1 class at my school, but my school's physics department is rather dreadful and so I'd say I know less than a quarter of what would be covered in a normal high school physics course (AP that is).

On the other hand, my mathematical skills are quite good for my age, having completed all single-variable calculus and basic multivariable. As a result (or maybe seperate), I find Halliday too slow and Feynman's lectures too conceptual (though brilliant in their own right).

So I was hoping that I could be pointed towards a nice Physics textbook, the key thing being that it is Calculus based to the greatest extent possible.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kleppner may be of use. Of course, the point of an intro class is to learn the physics so a book being too conceptual seems odd.

Last edited:
Take a look at the 5 volume Berkeley Physics series. They were used for honors freshman physics when I attended college, where the standard course for physics majors used Halliday and Resnick. It has been a long time, but I recall being pleased with vol. 1 (mechanics) which was authored by C. Kittel, who wrote classic texts on solid state physics. Vol. 2 (electricity and magnetism) is a widely acclaimed gem written by Nobel laureate E. Purcell. Thermal physics (vol. 4) by Reif is another standout--often referred to as "baby Reif" to differentiate it from his graduate level text. The series might be more to your tastes.

marcusl has it exactly.

Once you move on from Physics at the level of R & H the subject is offered in texts covering particular areas, often written by acknowledged experts in that field, as opposed to one gigantic text covering everything.

There are other good university physics series such as

The Manchester Physics Series
The MIT Physics Series

You should also be looking at the issue from another perspective - viz that of applied maths.
There are many good applied maths books that bridge the gap

Mathematical Methods for the Physical Sciences - Reilly
The Chemistry Maths book - Steiner

From what you have said, you will need to develop your maths skills along with your physics. Steiner is particularly good for taking you on to the next level.

go well

Dear reader,

I understand your frustration with the Halliday textbook and your desire for a more in-depth and efficient calculus-based physics textbook. I would recommend looking into the "University Physics" series by Young and Freedman, which is widely used in college-level physics courses and is known for its clear explanations and rigorous approach to calculus-based physics. Another option could be the "Fundamentals of Physics" series by Resnick and Halliday (no relation to the textbook you mentioned), which is also highly regarded for its thorough coverage of calculus-based physics concepts.

It is important to note that while these textbooks may be more challenging and comprehensive, they may also require a strong foundation in calculus and other mathematical concepts. As you mentioned, your mathematical skills are quite good for your age, but it may still be beneficial to review and solidify your understanding of single-variable calculus before diving into a calculus-based physics textbook.

I wish you the best of luck in your self-teaching journey and hope that you find a textbook that suits your needs and learning style. Remember to always approach physics with curiosity and a critical mindset, and don't be afraid to seek help or clarification when needed. Happy learning!

Sincerely,

Scientist in Physics

1. What is the difference between calculus based textbooks and Halliday?

Calculus based textbooks typically focus on the mathematical concepts and applications of calculus, while Halliday covers topics in physics and engineering that utilize calculus. Additionally, calculus based textbooks may vary in their level of difficulty and approach to teaching.

2. Is "Calculus Based Textbook that isn't Halliday" suitable for beginners?

It depends on the specific textbook in question. Some calculus based textbooks may be more suitable for beginners, while others may assume a certain level of mathematical knowledge or may have a more advanced approach.

3. Can "Calculus Based Textbook that isn't Halliday" be used for self-study?

Yes, many calculus based textbooks can be used for self-study as they provide clear explanations and practice problems. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a teacher or tutor for a more comprehensive understanding of the material.

4. Are there any notable authors or publishers of "Calculus Based Textbook that isn't Halliday"?

Yes, there are many well-known authors and publishers of calculus based textbooks, such as Thomas' Calculus by George B. Thomas, Calculus: Early Transcendentals by James Stewart, and Calculus by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards.

5. What topics are typically covered in "Calculus Based Textbook that isn't Halliday"?

Calculus based textbooks cover a wide range of topics, including limits, derivatives, integrals, applications of derivatives and integrals, series, and multivariable calculus. Some textbooks may also include additional topics such as differential equations or vector calculus.