Self-learning calculus for physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for calculus in high school physics and asks for recommendations on books or online resources to learn the required calculus. The suggestion is to look for a textbook called Technical Math with Calculus and to start somewhere before derivatives to gain a practical understanding of problem-solving. It is also suggested to consider older and cheaper editions of the recommended book.
Mastermind01
Hello all,

I am interested in physics and I know that a some amount of calculus is required for high school physics. We don't start calculus until the end of next year i.e end of 11th grade (I have just finished 9th grade), although the level of physics we do is quite high. Can someone recommend me books (preferable) or online videos/courses (things like coursera's calculus one) to learn the calculus required for high-school calculus based physics (probably the calculus required for textbooks like Halliday, Resnick, Walker) ? I don't want to get too deep into the subject as I'll probably do it when I actually study Calculus in school. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for a textbook called Technical Math with Calculus. There are several. Buy one that you can also find a solutions book available and has good ratings.

This type of math book tends to avoid heavy theory and would have the type of problems that you could probably handle, with lots of practical problems.

These are great for self study to get you to where you want and when finished, you would be able to solve a fair amount of problems at any level. No, this is not a rigorous text that would provide deep mathematical rigor, but that won't be required until college calculus.

Likes Mastermind01
CalcNerd said:
Look for a textbook called Technical Math with Calculus. There are several. Buy one that you can also find a solutions book available and has good ratings.

Do you mean something like this ? - https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470464720/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another question is, do I need to finish the previous chapters to get to calculus? Or can I start directly from derivatives?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0138142254/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Something like you found would be fine, but since you are not enrolled in any particular class, you could look at the older (cheaper) editions of these types of books. check the link I have. It is for a similar book but it is an older and much less expensive book that should provide you with a very similar experience.

As for where to start, you certainly shouldn't start with chapter 1, unless you see material you are not comfortable with. But I would also suggest you pick up somewhere before derivatives just to get the feel of the problems. Think of this as a practical guide to solving math problems.

Likes Mastermind01

1. What is the importance of learning calculus for physics?

Calculus is a fundamental mathematical tool that is essential for understanding and solving problems in physics. It allows us to describe and analyze the physical world in a quantitative and precise manner.

2. How can self-learning calculus benefit me as a physicist?

Self-learning calculus allows you to have a deeper understanding of the mathematical principles behind the laws of physics. It also gives you the ability to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions in various fields of physics.

3. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to learn calculus for physics?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn calculus for physics. With determination and practice, anyone can learn and apply the principles of calculus to solve problems in physics.

4. What are some resources for self-learning calculus for physics?

There are many resources available for self-learning calculus for physics, including textbooks, online courses, and practice problems. You can also seek help from tutors or join study groups to enhance your learning experience.

5. How can I apply calculus to real-life problems in physics?

Calculus is used in various branches of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, to solve real-life problems. For example, it can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, determine the rate of change of a physical quantity, or analyze the behavior of a thermodynamic system.