Calculus-Derivative+word problem help.

• Thread starter stanton
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves two snails on a square patio, with one traveling east at 6cm/min and the other traveling north at 4cm/min. The goal is to find the rate at which the distance between the snails is changing. After using the equation d(distance)=root[(6t-120)2+(-4t+50)2], the correct answer was found to be -7.08, using the chain rule and taking the derivative of the initial equation.
stanton
Calculus-Derivative+word problem. help:(

Homework Statement

Two snails are sliming along my square patio's edges. One is on the north edge, 120cm away from the northeast corner and traveling directly east at the snail's pace of 6cm/min.
The other is on the east edge, 50cm away from the northeast corner and traveling north at 4cm/min.
At what rate is the distance between the snails changing?

Homework Equations

I do not know what equation to use. But I used root(a2+b2)=c But I don't think I am using the right equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

let time be t, and upside and right be positive.
snail no.1:f(x, y)=xi+yi, x=6t-120, y=0
snail no.2:g(x, y)=xi+yi, x=0, y=4t-50
d(distance)=root[(6t-120)2+(-4t+50)2]
= (52t2-1120t+16900)1/2
So this was the answer I got.

But I am now learning derivative and increasing and decreasing function. So I don't think this should be solved this way. There must be something related to derivative when solving this problem. My prof must have gave us this problem in order to let us solve with the method which we are learning, isn't it?
And I also think the answer is wrong. What should I do? How do I solve this prob?
And if I solved in right way, should I take the derivative of my answer to be the real answer of my problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you solving it in exactly the correct way. Except I get (6*t-120)^2+(-4*t+50)^2=52t^2-1840*t+16900. Now just take the derivative with respect to t and put t=0.

Thank you so much!
So I did this way.
=1/2(52t^2-1840+16900)^-1/2
=1/2root(52t^2-1840t+16900)
I took the derivative of my answer. and I put t as zero:
1/2root16900=1/260! (this is not factorial.. I am just excited!)
I got the final answer. This is the exact answer to my snail problem, right?

Aren't you forgetting to use the chain rule? Where's the derivative of 52t^2-1840t+16900? The snails are approaching each other, right? Shouldn't the derivative be negative?

Okey. Thank you again. I almost forgot that. :)
Chain rule: (u') x (nu^n-1)
(52t^2-1840t+16900)^1/2
1/2(52t^2-1840+16900)^-1/2 x 52t-1840
So, -1840/260=-11.5

Last edited:
Yeah, you are doing very right. Except you are being really sloppy. Maybe you are being too excited. -1840/260 isn't equal to -11.5, at all.

Oh, My! I AM really being sloppy... I am so sorry. The answer is -7.08.
I must be careful next time...
I really appreciate for your help. Sorry to bother you frequently with those foolish mistakes like forgetting chain rule and -11.5. Thank you so much!

Last edited:

What is calculus and how is it used in real life?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and even biology. Some common real-life applications of calculus include optimizing business profits, predicting the motion of objects, and analyzing rates of chemical reactions.

What is a derivative and how is it calculated?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It measures how much a function is changing at a particular point. The derivative of a function can be calculated using various methods such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule.

How do I solve word problems involving derivatives?

To solve word problems involving derivatives, you need to first identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, you can use the appropriate derivative formula to find the rate of change at a specific point. It is essential to understand the problem and visualize it before attempting to solve it.

Can I use derivatives to find the maximum or minimum value of a function?

Yes, derivatives can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. The maximum value occurs at the point where the derivative changes from positive to negative, and the minimum value occurs at the point where the derivative changes from negative to positive. These points are also known as critical points.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus-word problems involving derivatives?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving calculus-word problems involving derivatives include not reading the problem carefully, using the wrong derivative formula, not checking for extraneous solutions, and not simplifying the final answer. It is essential to double-check your work and make sure it aligns with the given information and the problem's context.