[Calculus]Hard continutity problem.

• Thread starter jalvarado
  • Start date
In summary, the function G is discontinuous at each negative number and nonnegative rational number, but is continuous at each positive irrational number. This can be shown by examining the limit as x approaches different types of numbers, such as irrational, nonnegative rational, and positive irrational, and comparing it to the value of G at those numbers. In the case of irrational numbers, the limit and the value of G are equal, showing continuity. However, for negative numbers and nonnegative rational numbers, the limit does not match the value of G, indicating discontinuity.
jalvarado

Homework Statement

Define [itex]G[/itex] as follows:

[itex]G(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{c l}
x, & \mbox{if } x \mbox{ is irrational} \\
\sqrt{\frac{1+p^2}{1+q^2}}, & \mbox{if } x = \frac{p}{q} \mbox{where } gcd(p,q) = 1
\end{array}
\right.[/itex]

Show that [itex]G[/itex] is discontinuous at each negative number and also at each nonnegative rational number, but is continuous at each positive irrational number.

Homework Equations

[itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} f(x) = f(a)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found this question in an old calculus book at the end of the limits and continuity section.
I tried the approach using [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow a} G(x) = G(a)[/itex] and trying the different cases for [itex]a[/itex] and it makes sense intuitively but I'm thinking and epsilon-delta approach is what is needed here. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what your reasoning is so far.

Sorry I didn't put it before. It takes a while to post from my phone.

I first test the case where x goes to an irrational number. Say b.
G(b) = b, so now we must look at the limit as x--->b of G(x).
My reasoning is that there is rationals around G(b) that approach this value as x gets closer and closer to b.

So for nonnegative irrationals continuity holds.

For the cases of positive or negative rationals we let wlog some number r = s/t where s and t are coprime.

Then G(r) = √(1+s^2)/(1+t^2). Now the limit as x--->r of G(x) wouldn't exist as x has to go through irrational values as it gets closer to r from either positive or negative side. So it wouldn't be continuous as
lim as x--->r of G(x) is not equal to G(r).

Last edited:

1. What is a hard continuity problem in calculus?

A hard continuity problem in calculus is a problem that involves determining whether a function is continuous at a specific point. This can be challenging because it requires understanding the concept of continuity and being able to apply it to complex functions.

2. How do you approach solving a hard continuity problem?

The first step in solving a hard continuity problem is to determine if the function is continuous at the given point. This can be done by checking if the left-hand limit, right-hand limit, and the function value are all equal at that point. If they are, then the function is continuous. If they are not, then further analysis and algebraic manipulation may be needed to determine continuity.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a hard continuity problem?

One common mistake when solving a hard continuity problem is to assume that a function is continuous without verifying it. Another mistake is to only check the left and right-hand limits and not the function value at the given point. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to check for any possible discontinuities in the function.

4. Can a hard continuity problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a hard continuity problem can have more than one solution. This can occur when a function has a removable discontinuity at the given point, or when the function is not defined at that point. In these cases, there may be multiple ways to make the function continuous at the given point.

5. How can knowing how to solve hard continuity problems be useful in real life?

Having a strong understanding of continuity and being able to solve hard continuity problems is important in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. In these fields, functions are often used to model real-life situations, and being able to determine continuity is crucial in understanding the behavior of these functions.