Calculus- how to find half of max height

In summary, the question asks for the time at which the rock reaches half of its maximum height. The maximum height is 180 ft and it takes 15 seconds to reach it. Using this information, a quadratic equation can be set up to find the time at which the rock is at half of its maximum height. The equation is not factorable, so the quadratic equation must be used to find the two solutions for the time.
jtt

Homework Statement

the question says " when did the rock reach half its maximum height?

Homework Equations

a rock is thrown vertically upward from the surface of the moon at a velocity of 24m/sec and
reaches height of s= 24t-0.8t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured out when the rock reaches max point which is 15 seconds. i think when velocity = zero is when you can figure out the max height. i don't know about half of max height.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know when the rock reached its maximum height, you must know what that maximum height is. Okay, divide that maximum height by 2, set your formula for height equal to that and solve. There will be two answer to that quadratic equation- the time the rock passes that height on the way up and the time it passes it on the way down.

the time it takes to reach max height is 15 seconds and the height is 180 ft. based on how i tried to interpret the last reply this is what i got:
24-.8t^2=90
-90 -90
24t-.8t^2-90=0
is this correct?

Yes, you'll have that quadratic equation. You'll obtain two solutions for the time, the second one being the time after the rock is thrown when it is at half the maximum height and on the way down. (As a check, the two solutions for the time should be symmetrical about the time at which the rock is at maximum height.)

is the equation 24t-.8t^2-90=0 factorable or will i have to use the quadratic equation? i started out by dividing the whole equation by 2 and i got:
12t-.04t^2-45=0

i'm stuck and not sure where to go from here...

It won't factor nicely: the solutions are irrational numbers. So you will need the quadratic equation.

1. What is the formula for finding half of the maximum height in calculus?

The formula for finding half of the maximum height in calculus is h/2, where h represents the maximum height.

2. How do you apply calculus to find half of the maximum height?

To apply calculus to find half of the maximum height, you first need to find the derivative of the function that represents the height. Then, set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for the value of x. This value of x will give you the half of the maximum height.

3. Can calculus be used to find half of the maximum height of any object?

Yes, calculus can be used to find half of the maximum height of any object as long as the height of the object can be represented by a mathematical function.

4. Are there any other methods to find half of the maximum height besides using calculus?

Yes, there are other methods to find half of the maximum height, such as using geometry or trigonometry. However, calculus is often the most accurate method and is widely used in the field of science and engineering.

5. Is it necessary to know calculus in order to find half of the maximum height?

No, it is not necessary to know calculus in order to find half of the maximum height. However, having a basic understanding of calculus can make the process easier and more efficient.