Calculus I review for Calculus II

In summary, to adequately prepare for Calc II, you should review derivatives and limits, trigonometry (derivatives and identities), and integrate basic concepts from differentiation and integration.
Kryptnick
I'm scheduled to take Calculus II this Fall semester, but it will have been over a year since I'd taken Calculus I. I am aware that I need to review, but what are some are the major concepts I should review to adequately prepare for the infamous Calc II?

Physics news on Phys.org
Derivatives and limits, so the two biggies. Also make sure you're well versed in trig. I.E. Trig derivatives and identities.

It should be noted that it varies from school to school, L'Hospital's rule for example, I learned that in Cal I at one school, ad then again in Cal II at another school.

Ok thanks, Yea I learned L'Hospital's rule in Calc I. I have a whole textbook for review but just want to review only the major concepts. So I'll get the hang of those derivatives and limits again.

If you've got the textbook, I'd just go through and see what concepts you do remember and which you don't.

I would say that Calculus II is fairly different from both Calculus I and III (which I felt were similar). Having a strong basis in integration is good for Calc. II though, you'll learn more advanced methods of integration. If I remember correctly, differentiation isn't all that much harder if you've already learned L'Hôpital's.

To be honest, Calculus II was a lot of summation, which I haven't really used that much (EE, so I've been using a lot of the information from Calculus III).

Gleveniel said:
I would say that Calculus II is fairly different from both Calculus I and III (which I felt were similar). Having a strong basis in integration is good for Calc. II though, you'll learn more advanced methods of integration.
In many calculus sequences, the first course deals with differentiation, the second course with integration, and the third with infinite series and things like line and surface integrals. The most important thing before learning the integration part is having a solid understanding of differentiation.
Gleveniel said:
If I remember correctly, differentiation isn't all that much harder if you've already learned L'Hôpital's.
That last sentence doesn't make much sense. You can't use L'Hopital's Rule without already knowing how to differentiate. In any case, L'Hopital's Rule is used primarily for limits, not for differentiating functions.
Gleveniel said:
To be honest, Calculus II was a lot of summation, which I haven't really used that much (EE, so I've been using a lot of the information from Calculus III).

Jesse H. said:
Derivatives and limits, so the two biggies. Also make sure you're well versed in trig. I.E. Trig derivatives and identities.

It should be noted that it varies from school to school, L'Hospital's rule for example, I learned that in Cal I at one school, ad then again in Cal II at another school.

I second these. It's not how you perform the derivatives etc. It's the definitions, the very basics. Like what is a derivative, the definition of limits, Rollies, L'Hospital's, Mean value...All the basics.

Jesse H. said:

Pretty much this. It does vary school to school, but at least brush up some on trig.

Brown Arrow said:
you should check out http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/ <--- Its Pauls notes on Calculus I II III it got examples so it should be good.

I just skimmed through this, but it looks pretty decent, so I'd give it a go. You could also look up YouTube videos.

yungman said:
I second these. It's not how you perform the derivatives etc. It's the definitions, the very basics. Like what is a derivative, the definition of limits, Rollies, L'Hospital's, Mean value...All the basics.

Yes, maybe even perhaps grab a textbook and look through it while doing some practice problems.

Goodluck!

1. What topics should I review from Calculus I before starting Calculus II?

Before starting Calculus II, it's important to review topics such as limits, derivatives, and integrals. These concepts form the foundation of Calculus and are crucial for understanding more advanced topics in Calculus II.

2. Do I need to have a strong understanding of algebra before taking Calculus II?

Yes, a strong understanding of algebra is essential for success in Calculus II. Many concepts in Calculus II require the use of algebraic manipulation and problem-solving skills.

3. How important is it to have a good understanding of trigonometry for Calculus II?

Trigonometry is an important tool in Calculus II, especially when dealing with topics such as integration and polar coordinates. It's recommended to have a solid understanding of trigonometry before starting Calculus II.

4. Is it necessary to memorize all the formulas from Calculus I for Calculus II?

While it's important to have a basic understanding of the formulas from Calculus I, it's not necessary to memorize all of them. It's more important to understand the concepts and be able to apply them to solve problems in Calculus II.

5. How can I prepare for Calculus II if I struggled with Calculus I?

If you struggled with Calculus I, it's important to review the topics you struggled with before starting Calculus II. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend review sessions to strengthen your understanding of the concepts. It's also important to stay organized, keep up with the material, and practice regularly.