Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Precalc topics that are essential in calculus 3

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I will be taking calc3 a semester from now. I will take linear algebra this upcoming semester, so i have a bit of time to prepare for calc.

what are Precal topics that are essential in calculus 3? reading the class description, it seems more geometric than calc 1 and 2.

Also, what are the best methods to learn/review these precal topics in preparation for calc 3?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2
    The notion of a vector is probably the most important non-calculus based idea you will need. Trig is also extremely important. If you are taking linear algebra, the vector info will be taken care of. You should review dot products, cross products, determinants, and matrix algebra, but like I said, all these ideas are covered in a basic linear algebra course. You should also review the notion of parametric equations. That is pretty much the working non-calculus ideas you will need. Of course, EVERYTHING from cal 1 and cal 2 will also be needed. Depending on the rigor of the course, you may or may not need taylor series.

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Everything you study in Pre-Calculus will be needed in the Calculus sequence of courses. A good Pre-Calculus course will also include an introduction to Limits.

5. Jul 20, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why would you prepare for calc 3 by studying precalc? Isn't it more logical to review calculus and to make sure you know it cold? Anyway, to answer your question, it's probably trigonometry that you should focus on, since a lot of calc 3 questions will be made a lot easier by trigonometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook