Calculus, it's personal for me

OldDogNewTricks
How did you find PF?: I was randomly searching the net for info on calculus books for self study, found a math reddit that brought me here.

I'm 65. Not working since 2000. In HS, 9th Algebra 1 = A, 10th Geometry/Trig =A, 11th, Algebra 2= D, (long story)....so no Calculus in Sr yr. Through college my engineering was technical and so not calculus based. AAS Mechanical/Piping design Technology, AAS Industrial Engineering Tech, BAS Technical Engineering/Management.Eventually got to a watered down Calculus course (s) at U of D that was the 221/222 level, not the solid 241/242/243 sequence. Seemed to easily grasp the non-calculus based physics courses (Prof removed me from curve as it was failing most of the class) But it's been a very long time since I did math/physics or anything related to engineering....I must have gone insane, went to law school and ended up practicing law for several years...not doing patent work....doing bankruptcy and criminal defense...go figure.

Physics news on Phys.org
One source of good books for review-self-study purposes is used books sales, like from public libraries. Take yourself through courses to reach up to Calculus in a reasonable sequence. Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Trigonometry (find a dedicated book), and then Pre-Calculus (which often a combination of College Algebra and Trigonometry). You MIGHT want to use community colleges courses as an enrolled student. If you do try through going to school, that much may take you maybe three or four semesters. When those courses you have handled, you would be ready for Calculus And Analytic Geometry 1.

You have been out of school for some or many years? That's why I recommend reviewing, either on your own or as a formal student.

I did not say anything about Geometry course. Why? Let some other interested forum members debate this. If you WANT that course, then include it!

Likes Math100 and OldDogNewTricks
I finished HS in 1976, I figure I have about 30 yrs to go based on family genetics and retirement is well....boring.
Last did math/physics/engineering in 1989.

Never took the real calculus courses, just watered down versions.
Last at the library, picked up Barron's books, one on geometry and one on pre-calculus. Didn't see a Trig or algebra books on the shelves. Was planning to read thru the Geometry then attempt the pre-calculus to see how I fared. I'll check another library for some algebra/trig books and put them before the Geometry.

I had no problems with Algebra 1, geometry/trig in HS or the tech math 1-4 at the community college when I was there. All grades were A's. The watered down Calc of 221/2 were A and C (medical issues that semester)
The 11th grade Algebra 2 grade of a D was from a poor class....seat was at steep angle to the chalk board, the 2 class screwoffs sat at my table and adjacent to our table was a working flight simulator....yes it ran during class....that was in 1974/5 and that sucker was noisy.

If I failed and took summer school I could have taken the Sr class Calculus (equivalent to calculus 1-2-3 at the local university.) I should have taken the summer school anyway....the Sr calc class teacher was very good...a friend that took that course the year before me, got to University and tested out of Calc 1-2-3 and settled in for ODE. Opportunity missed.

So now, I need to knock off the rust, find my holes and fix them. I'd prefer to self-studying at home for the rust/repair. I do have the option to attend any class in state at a state college/university for free on tuition as I'm over 60.

Books I've found free or cheap so far are:
Precalculus, Sullivan, 3rd ed.
Calculus, Stewart, 2nd ed.
Calculus early transendentals, Anton, 9th ed.
Calculus the easy way, 2nd ed. Barron's ed series
Calculus & it's applications, study guide, Goldstein
Differential Equations, Schaum's outline
Linear Algebra, Schaum's outline
Elementary Analysis: The Theory of Calculus, Ross
-------
Total expenditure = $27

As I'm "retired" for now....I can spend endless hours on getting the math skills up to snuff. I'm gonna need them for the Physics.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks....I will check out both links after dinner this evening. A cursory skim, looks like a lot of interesting material. Thank you.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals to analyze and solve problems related to change.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and describing the world around us. It is used in a wide range of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as in designing buildings, predicting weather patterns, and optimizing business strategies.

3. How is Calculus used in real life?

Calculus is used in various real-life scenarios, such as predicting the path of a moving object, determining the maximum or minimum value of a function, and finding the rate of change in a system. It is also used in fields like medicine to model and analyze biological processes, and in finance to calculate interest rates and investment growth.

4. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus focuses on the accumulation of quantities and the area under curves.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to clarify any concepts you may be struggling with. Additionally, utilizing online resources and textbooks can provide additional explanations and practice problems to enhance your understanding.