Calculus of Variation Questions

In summary, our professor is teaching us about calculus of variations, and although I understand the concept, I'm still missing something. I would greatly appreciate any help that you can offer.
MethAngel
Hey guys. In my mechanics course, we have began discussing calculus of variations, and I don't really understand what's going on, entirely. Any help understanding would be great. Our professor gave us an easy problem, but I feel like I am just missing something.

Homework Statement

Consider the function f(y,y',x)=3yy' + x^2 where y(x)=2x^2-3x+1. Compute df/dx and ∂f/∂x

Homework Equations

So our text says df/dx=df{y,y',x}/dx= (∂f/∂y)(dy/dx) + (∂f/∂y')(dy'/dx) + (∂f/∂x) = y'(∂f/∂y') + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x)

So, maybe I am oversimplifying it, but here's what confuses me from his lectures. Is y'=d(y)/dx and y''=d(y')/dx=d^2(y)/dx^2 ? In class, sometimes he leaves y' and sometimes he doesn't, because he knows how to get to the answer or objective, but I am just not sure what to do about them.

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the answer to my above question, what I did was...
y'=4x-3 y''=4 (∂f/∂y)=3y' and (∂f/∂y')=3y

It makes sense to go on to to ∂f/∂x, since it is needed for df/dx, so I got ∂f/∂x=∂(3yy' + x^2)/∂x, plugging in and doing some adding/multiplying, I finally go ∂f/∂x=72x^2-106x+39

Then, df/dx= y'(∂f/∂y') + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x) = (after multiplying and adding) 144x^2 - 214x +78.

I know I skipped a lot in the end there, but my questions arise before the simple algebra, I can easily do that, but this stuff here is causing me a lot of grief. Any help at all would be great. I have searched around and found nothing really that helped.

Physics news on Phys.org
∂f/∂x is just 2x. f is a function of the three variables y, y' and x. When you are taking the partial derivative you don't count the implicit dependence of y and y' on x. You just count the explicit dependence and differentiate the x^2.

Dick said:
∂f/∂x is just 2x. f is a function of the three variables y, y' and x. When you are taking the partial derivative you don't count the implicit dependence of y and y' on x. You just count the explicit dependence and differentiate the x^2.

Herp. You're right, I was just thinking it was different here. I have never taken a partial that had any implicit dependence on the independent variable (well, not explicitly stated, anyways). So then,

df/dx= y'(∂f/∂y) + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x) = (4x -3)(3y') + 4(3y) + 2x, that's all? That's much more simple than I expected.

MethAngel said:
Herp. You're right, I was just thinking it was different here. I have never taken a partial that had any implicit dependence on the independent variable (well, not explicitly stated, anyways). So then,

df/dx= y'(∂f/∂y) + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x) = (4x -3)(3y') + 4(3y) + 2x, that's all? That's much more simple than I expected.

That's it. You can substitute your expressions for y' and y into that and express it totally in terms of x. And there's another way to find df/dx. Just substitute your expressions for y' and y into f to express it totally in terms of x, then just differentiate with respect to x. You should get the same thing. It's not that mysterious.

Awesome, thanks a ton! That clears up so much confusion.

1. What is the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations is a mathematical field that deals with finding the optimal or most efficient way to perform a task. It involves finding the path, curve, or function that minimizes or maximizes a given quantity, such as time, energy, or cost.

2. What are some applications of the calculus of variations?

The calculus of variations has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to optimize the trajectories of objects, find the most efficient shapes for structures, and determine the optimal paths for light, sound, and other waves.

3. What is the difference between the Euler-Lagrange equation and the Hamiltonian equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is used to find the stationary points of a functional, while the Hamiltonian equation is used to find the optimal path for a dynamical system. The Euler-Lagrange equation involves derivatives with respect to a single variable, while the Hamiltonian equation involves partial derivatives with respect to multiple variables.

4. What is a constraint in the calculus of variations?

A constraint in the calculus of variations is a condition or restriction that must be satisfied by the optimal path or function. These constraints can be in the form of fixed endpoints, fixed values, or other relationships between variables. Constraints are important in optimizing real-world problems, as they reflect the limitations and boundaries of the system.

5. How is the calculus of variations related to other branches of mathematics?

The calculus of variations is closely related to other branches of mathematics, such as differential equations, optimization, and functional analysis. It also has connections to physics, as it is used to solve problems involving motion and energy. Additionally, it has applications in geometry, probability, and control theory.