1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of Variation Questions

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    Hey guys. In my mechanics course, we have began discussing calculus of variations, and I don't really understand what's going on, entirely. Any help understanding would be great. Our professor gave us an easy problem, but I feel like I am just missing something.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the function f(y,y',x)=3yy' + x^2 where y(x)=2x^2-3x+1. Compute df/dx and ∂f/∂x

2. Relevant equations
    So our text says df/dx=df{y,y',x}/dx= (∂f/∂y)(dy/dx) + (∂f/∂y')(dy'/dx) + (∂f/∂x) = y'(∂f/∂y') + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x)

So, maybe I am oversimplifying it, but here's what confuses me from his lectures. Is y'=d(y)/dx and y''=d(y')/dx=d^2(y)/dx^2 ? In class, sometimes he leaves y' and sometimes he doesn't, because he knows how to get to the answer or objective, but I am just not sure what to do about them.

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming the answer to my above question, what I did was...
    y'=4x-3 y''=4 (∂f/∂y)=3y' and (∂f/∂y')=3y

It makes sense to go on to to ∂f/∂x, since it is needed for df/dx, so I got ∂f/∂x=∂(3yy' + x^2)/∂x, plugging in and doing some adding/multiplying, I finally go ∂f/∂x=72x^2-106x+39

Then, df/dx= y'(∂f/∂y') + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x) = (after multiplying and adding) 144x^2 - 214x +78.

I know I skipped a lot in the end there, but my questions arise before the simple algebra, I can easily do that, but this stuff here is causing me a lot of grief. Any help at all would be great. I have searched around and found nothing really that helped.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

∂f/∂x is just 2x. f is a function of the three variables y, y' and x. When you are taking the partial derivative you don't count the implicit dependence of y and y' on x. You just count the explicit dependence and differentiate the x^2.

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    Herp. You're right, I was just thinking it was different here. I have never taken a partial that had any implicit dependence on the independent variable (well, not explicitly stated, anyways). So then,

df/dx= y'(∂f/∂y) + y''(∂f/∂y') + (∂f/∂x) = (4x -3)(3y') + 4(3y) + 2x, that's all? That's much more simple than I expected.

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's it. You can substitute your expressions for y' and y into that and express it totally in terms of x. And there's another way to find df/dx. Just substitute your expressions for y' and y into f to express it totally in terms of x, then just differentiate with respect to x. You should get the same thing. It's not that mysterious.

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5
    Awesome, thanks a ton! That clears up so much confusion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook