1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculus of variations: Euler-Lagrange

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    This is from a past paper (from a lecturer I don't particularly understand)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) {4 marks} Find the Euler-Lagrange equations governing extrema of [itex] I [/itex] subject to [itex] J=\text{constant} [/itex], where[tex]I=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\text{d}t \frac{1}{2}(x\dot{y}-y\dot{x})=\int f(t,x,y,\dot{x},\dot{y})[/tex]
    and[tex]J=\int_{t_1}^{t_2}\text{d}t (\dot{x}^2+\dot{y}^2)=\int g(t,x,y,\dot{x},\dot{y})[/tex]
    b) {8 marks} show that for the problem in part a) the extremal curves satisfy [itex](x-\alpha)\dot{x}+(y-\beta)\dot{y}=0[/itex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are constants.
    2. Relevant equations
    From an earlier part of the question I have two Euler-Lagrange equations (one differentiating w.r.t. [itex]y[/itex] aswell)[tex]\frac{\partial (f-\lambda g)}{\partial x}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial (f-\lambda g)}{\partial \dot{x}}=0[/tex]
    and I think I can write, due to no dependence on [itex]t[/itex] (another one with [itex]y[/itex] again)[tex](f-\lambda g) - \dot{x}\frac{\partial (f-\lambda g)}{\partial \dot{x}}=\mathrm{constant}[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a) I'm not particularly sure what I am being asked for, or if the equation above is the answer. for part b) I have tried subbing into the equations above and can get out linear equations for [itex]x(t) \text{ and } y(t)[/itex] and get a few dead ends, I'm not really sure what approach to use (a definite answer to part a) would probably help).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

For part (a), you want to take the specific f and g you've been given and substitute them into the general Euler-Lagrange equation you cited as a relevant equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook