1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calorimeter and heat, units question

1. May 2, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a lab report due next week and I'm almost done with it. However I'm totally stuck on the last part where it is wrote in a description of the experience : [tex]c=\frac{(m+M_e)(T_f'-T'_i)}{m(T_c-T_f)}[/tex] where [tex]c[/tex] is the specific heat of a metal. If I work out the units in the formula, I end up with [tex]c[/tex] has no units! It must have units of [tex]\frac{cal}{g \cdot K}}[/tex]! But I don't know how to make this appear!
    The only thing I imagine that can save me is that the [tex]c[/tex] above is equivalent to one with units, but I don't know how to justify this. Clearly it makes no sense at all to me.
    I'd be very grateful if you could help me. (I'd be so glad to finish the report as soon as possible so that I can study vector analysis...)

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need a C of the calorimeter metal on the top.

4. May 3, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Sorry I don't understand what you mean.
    This formula also appear in some websites, like http://www.sc.ehu.es/sbweb/fisica/estadistica/otros/calorimetro/calorimetro.htm (In Spanish. Where it says
    )
    In my formula [tex]M_e[/tex] is the mass of water to which the calorimeter is equivalent to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook