Can a 747 Take Off on a Conveyor Belt?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter RandyD123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
127 replies · 19K views
DaveC426913 said:
I can't believe this is still under discussion.

It doesn't matter what the wheels are doing - it's not a car.
A plane gets its forward motion via the air, using props or jets.
Once the thrust of the engines rises, the plane will accelerate with respect to the air - and eventually gain lift via air, as usual - no matter what the wheels are doing.

You can do whatever you want with the conveyor - move it as fast as you want - till the wheels blow, and the landing gear is worn down to nubs - the plane is still going to move forward, given sufficient thrust.

Full stop.

To clarify, it would matter slightly if only because the faster the wheels are turning, the more rolling friction the plane would likely experience, but this would only affect the rate at which the plane accelerates and would be very small compared to the overall thrust. I'd imagine that the wheels would simply catch fire and melt long before they moved fast enough to provide enough frictional force to stop the plane moving forward.

So yes, I fully agree (as I stated like 5 pages ago) that the rotation of the wheels is largely irrelevant because the engines, and therefore the forward force, really don't care what the wheels are doing. They only care about the air.

I feel like this thread has jumped the shark.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Nidum
Physics news on Phys.org
Lol... all in fun... :oldbiggrin:
OCR said:
Now...
Carry on.

[Edit to add a final clarification:]
"If you’re desperate to tell me that I’m wrong on the internet, don’t bother.

I’ve snuck onto the plane into first class with the #5 crowd and we’re busy finding out how many cocktails they’ll serve while we’re waiting for the treadmill to start.

God help us if, after the fourth round of drinks, someone brings up the two envelopes paradox." [1]

1[Source attribution]


Oh, and BTW... has anybody looked here ? ...
lmao-gif.gif



OCR said:
[End of edit to add a final clarification:]

Now...
Carry on.
 
Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
...till the wheels blow, and the landing gear is worn down to nubs - the plane is still going to move forward, given sufficient thrust.
But... but... with a landing gear worn down to nubs, will the thrust be sufficient to reach take off speed within the length of a normal runway?
 
DaveC426913 said:
I can't believe this is still under discussion.
Yes you CAN! This is PF :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
A.T. said:
But... but... with a landing gear worn down to nubs, will the thrust be sufficient to reach take off speed within the length of a normal runway?
Then we no longer have wheels and the question no longer applies.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DaveC426913
OCR said:
Oh, and BTW... has anybody looked here ?
Oh my stars & garters - XKCD has a forum??
Where have you been all my life?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur
OCR said:
Oh, and BTW... has anybody looked here ? ...
lmao-gif-gif.gif
And with that, I think we can call this thread done. Thanks for helping out, folks. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sophiecentaur