Airplanes Landing & Altitude Problem

In summary, the airplane takes off from New York and flies to an Airport directly south, both runways run North and South. As the plane takes off, it will be traveling east at the same speed of the Earth. However, as it climbs to 10,000 feet it must start traveling much faster to the east to stay caught up with the Earth, correct? Say it is then flying at 10,000' but must land. It is traveling east at the rate of the surface of the Earth plus X m/s to stay traveling in a straight line above the Earth's surface. As it descends to land, how does it stay lined up with the runway? Will it not still be traveling at X m/s relative to the
GilGiy
First I'm going to say that I was supposed to select a prefix for this thread... I'm not sure what that's for so my apologies if I did it wrong.

So here's a problem that I was presented with a bit ago (by a flat earther[emoji849][emoji19][emoji44]) and I'm sort of confused. It's been about a year since I took physics but I don't think that's a good excuse.

Let's say an airplane takes off from New York and flies to an Airport directly south, both runways run North and South. Also, the Earth is spinning directly East.

As the plane takes off, it will be traveling East at the same speed of the Earth. However, as it climbs to 10,000 feet it must start traveling much faster to the east to stay caught up with the earth, correct?

Say it is then flying at 10,000' but must land. It is traveling East at the rate of the surface of the Earth plus X m/s to stay traveling in a straight line above the Earth's surface. As it descends to land, how does it stay lined up with the runway? Will it not still be traveling at X m/s relative to the surface of the Earth when it reaches the runway? What does the pilot do with that extra sideways velocity?

If the question itself is confusing that's cause I'm confused... Here's the video that got my wheels turning:

Thanks in advance!
Gilbert

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:.

To a first approximation, at normal plane altitudes, the atmosphere moves with the surface of the Earth (before you account for whatever direction the wind is blowing that day).

Just stay on your compass heading toward the destination airport, and you should be fine.

GilGiy said:
However, as it climbs to 10,000 feet it must start traveling much faster to the east to stay caught up with the earth, correct?
The Earth does not spin very rapidly. Just a tad more than one rotation in 24 hours. At the equator, that amounts to a respectable 1000 miles per hour eastward. 10,000 feet (about two miles) above the equator, would need an extra 2 miles radius times 2π = 6 miles circumference traveled eastward in 24 hours to keep up. About ½ of a mile per hour faster than the surface of the Earth below. Slower than a walking pace.

Edit: Corrected ¼ to ½

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
The Earth does not spin very rapidly. Just a tad more than one rotation in 24 hours. At the equator, that amounts to a respectable 1000 miles per hour eastward. 10,000 feet (about two miles) above the equator, that amounts to an extra 2 miles times 2π = 6 miles circumference traveled in 24 hours -- approximately an extra ¼ of a mile per hour eastward. That's slower than a walking pace.
Awesome that makes perfect sense, thanks!

1. What factors affect an airplane's landing altitude?

The main factors that affect an airplane's landing altitude include the weight of the aircraft, the wind speed and direction, the temperature and air density, and the type of runway and its slope. These factors can affect the performance of the aircraft during landing and may require adjustments to be made by the pilot.

2. How does air pressure affect an airplane's landing altitude?

Air pressure plays a crucial role in an airplane's landing altitude. As an airplane descends, the air pressure increases, which creates more resistance and requires the pilot to adjust the aircraft's speed and angle to maintain a safe landing. Lower air pressure can also affect the lift of the aircraft, making it more difficult to control during landing.

3. Why do airplanes sometimes have to circle before landing?

Airplanes may have to circle before landing due to various reasons such as heavy air traffic, poor weather conditions, or the need to adjust the aircraft's position for a safe landing. Air traffic controllers may also ask the pilot to circle if the runway is not yet clear or if there is an emergency situation on the ground.

4. How do pilots determine the correct altitude for landing?

Pilots use various instruments and techniques to determine the correct altitude for landing. These include the altimeter, which measures the altitude above sea level, and the vertical speed indicator, which shows the rate of descent. Pilots also use visual cues, such as the runway's approach lights and markings, to guide their descent to the correct altitude.

5. What are some potential problems with landing at high altitudes?

Landing at high altitudes can present several challenges for pilots. The thinner air at high altitudes affects the aircraft's lift and decreases its engine performance, making it more difficult to control during landing. The longer runway length at high altitudes may also require adjustments to the aircraft's approach and landing techniques. Additionally, high-altitude airports may experience more extreme weather conditions, which can further complicate the landing process.