Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Can a cellphone in your pocket cause cancer?

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    My mother has suggested that I quit carrying my cellphone in my pocket, because having it sit there all day by my leg could lead to a tumor. I can't say how plausible this is, so what better place to ask than PF? Again, my question is whether merely carrying your phone in your pocket could cause cancer. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2010 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The answer is no.

4. Aug 3, 2010 #3
    Thanks! So is it just not enough rems to do significant damage? I believe you, I'd just like to be able to explain to people why it's not dangerous.

5. Aug 3, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

We don't dispense medical advice here because of the liability issues. In a similar vein, are you sure you're comfortable taking responsibilty for DeuteriumDude's health?

I suppose this could be generalized and bumped to Feedback Forums.

6. Aug 3, 2010 #5
    The answer is still no.

7. Aug 3, 2010 #6

Evo

You're right. Ok, here's the current official concensus on wireless and cordless use.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  8. Aug 3, 2010 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To date there is no scientifically published research that definitively proves that cell phone use increases the risk of developing a tumor.

9. Aug 3, 2010 #8
    Thanks everyone. Hope I haven't started an argument. I know now that there isn't much empirical evidence that cellphones can cause cancer. But I guess when I first posted this, I was thinking someone might happen to know how to calculate the radiation in rad or rem and be able to show that either this amount is harmful or is not harmful.

I appreciate Evo's response, and don't worry, I certainly take responsibility for my own health.

10. Aug 3, 2010 #9

russ_watters

Since science does not deal in absolutes nor proofs of negatives, this standard disclaimer should always be assumed to apply, without the need to always repeat it.

11. Aug 3, 2010 #10

Evo

There is a lot of information at the link I posted. You might find what you are looking for. Jut start at the top.

12. Aug 3, 2010 #11

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To date there is no published scientific research that proves that cell phone use decreases the risk of developing a tumor.

13. Aug 3, 2010 #12
    That's an interesting way to put it! (Bold type mine.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook