Can a conductor be heated above the temperature of the heat source?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AMan24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Conductor Temperature
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
AMan24
Messages
58
Reaction score
2
Could a good conductor, like some metal, be heated past the temperature of the heat that's heating it. Like if I use a 100 degree flame and hold it for hours on some piece of metal, could the metal go above 100 degrees?

And I'm not talking about special cases. I mean does this generally happen?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No. If the metal was hotter than the flame which way would energy flow?

Aside: A heat pump can be used to move energy from a cold place to a hot place.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AMan24