1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a curve with singular point be a regular curve?

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a parameterized curve [tex]\alpha:(a,b)\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2[/tex], show that this curve is regular except at t = a.

2. Relevant equations

I know that according to the defintion that a parameterized curve [tex]\alpha: I \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3[/tex] is said to be regular if [tex]\alpha'(t) \neq 0[/tex] [tex]\forall t \in I.[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have read that any curve which has a point where the tangent vector is zero cannot be a regular curve, so how is it even possible to just forget about that singular point in such a proof?

Best regards
    Cauchy

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have more information about alpha? Like, what the formula is?

Also, a isn't in your interval, so you're fine anyway?

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    Hi

First of all its suppose be t = p and [tex]p \in I [/tex] and the curve is defined as

[tex]\alpha(t) = (x(t),y(t))[/tex] a parameter curve.

having a singular point on a regular curve isn't that a contradiction?

Sincerrely

Cauchy

5. Feb 5, 2009 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where a is not in (a,b) so it doesn't even fail the regularity condition.

Anywho, if someone says "Show a curve is regular everywhere except point p" it's like if someone said "show f(x)=|x| is differentiable except at 0" By definition, a differentiable function is differentiable everywhere, but you understand what they mean anyway. Same principle applies here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook