T C
- 418
- 11
I am curious to see the velocity and pressure distribution part of this scenario. And, by the way, what's the source of this photo/drawing?renormalize said:![]()
Last edited:
I am curious to see the velocity and pressure distribution part of this scenario. And, by the way, what's the source of this photo/drawing?renormalize said:![]()
Here's the link to the published paper containing the second drawing as part of Fig. 5a:T C said:And, by the way, what's the source of this photo/drawing?
Did you search the title in Google Scholar for a free PDF as I suggested? What did you find?T C said:Can't see it as I don't have an account. Whatsoever, I am curious about the velocity distribution and pressure distribution diagram of the second photo.
Is this your understanding if flow around a house, building, mostly low rise?russ_watters said:Ok, I see it, and see that you capitalized "Edge" but not "effect" because that's how it is shown in the video subtitles. Near as I can tell, it's typically called "corner effect" and is about what happens whe a fluid flows around a sharp corner (it accelerates):
If that's true, then from where the extra energy can come?256bits said:Since the streamlines compress over the building ( and sides as well ), a velocity increase does occur.
It would seem the greatest velocity amplification occurs not at the actual edge but is a function of height and distance from the edge, surpassing Uroof_height, and possibly surpassing Uz under particular conditions.
BernoulliT C said:If that's true, then from where the extra energy can come?
No.T C said:That means the fall in temperature following the fall the pressure and the energy released in this way is being converted into kinetic energy, right?
256bits said:Bernoulli says nothing about a change in temperature.
That is a consequence in certain situations of Bernoulli's equation. It is not Bernoulli's equation.T C said:Condensation above aircraft wings are a very common phenomenon for a long time i.e. from subsonic to supersonic. Condensation occurs means there is fall in temperature otherwise it's simply not possible.
Whatsoever, it's a proof that temperature fall occurs due to the increase in velocity. I am just curious to know that happened to the energy that has been released due to this phenomenon.FactChecker said:That is a consequence in certain situations of Bernoulli's equation. It is not Bernoulli's equation.
T C said:If that's true, then from where the extra energy can come?
This answer may be too short/flippant for @T C to have grasped. To expand: Bernoulli's principal/equation is a conservation of energy statement: there is no extra energy. To put a finer point on it, any obstruction will result in a net loss of energy in the flow.256bits said:Bernoulli
Please look at the standard form of Bernoulli's equation @FactChecker provided and tell us what you see the answer is. You've been looking at related issues to this for years and this question is answered in the first hour of a lecture or chapter on Bernoulli's Principle. It's inexcusable for you to not grasp this by now.T C said:Whatsoever, it's a proof that temperature fall occurs due to the increase in velocity. I am just curious to know that happened to the energy that has been released due to this phenomenon.
The energy "released" by the temperature-fall is exactly balanced by the energy required to increase the flow-velocity. Bernoulli's equation for a compressible fluid (like air) can be written ##v^2/2+C_pT=\text{constant}##, where ##C_p## is the specific heat of the fluid. So simple conservation of energy for compressible flow implies higher-velocity ##v## = lower-temperature ##T##.T C said:Whatsoever, it's a proof that temperature fall occurs due to the increase in velocity. I am just curious to know that happened to the energy that has been released due to this phenomenon.
The Bernouilli equation that one mostly sees, and the one that is presented as an introduction to fluid flow, is of the form in post 42 by @FactChecker. Below about Mach 3, this form can solve the velocities and pressures from one point to another along a streamline quite adequately for a great deal of phenomena.T C said:Whatsoever, it's a proof that temperature fall occurs due to the increase in velocity. I am just curious to know that happened to the energy that has been released due to this phenomenon.
Good point. I think that is the unexpressed question of the OP. The diagrams that @renormalize included in post #27 seems to indicate that the velocity can be higher than the freestream velocity. The streamlines appear closer together at the leading corners of the obstruction than they were in the freestream.russ_watters said:The question here is whether a localized velocity increase can be exploited to provide greater power from a given wind turbine vs the same turbine in freestream. The answer is probably but it is complicated and very situation-specific.
I don't think that's the right interpretation. The flow-speed plots in fig. 6 of my post #26 show lower speeds (blue) everywhere around the building compared to the higher incoming freestream speed (yellow/green). But what you can say is this: if you have a turbine of finite aperture-width ##w##, placing it at the corners is better because it will capture a higher average flow speed (since the streamlines are more closely spaced there), compared to putting it nearer the stagnation point on the front wall. But in neither location will those average speeds be as high as the freestream speed. Obstacles always diminish nearby flow speeds to below that of the unperturbed freestream.FactChecker said:The diagrams that @renormalize included in post #27 seems to indicate that the velocity can be higher than the freestream velocity. The streamlines appear closer together at the leading corners of the obstruction than they were in the freestream.
Sorry. I stand corrected. I was thinking about incompressible fluid flow. Thanks.renormalize said:I don't think that's the right interpretation. The flow-speed plots in fig. 6 of my post #26 show lower speeds (blue) everywhere around the building compared to the higher incoming freestream speed (yellow/green).
In short, a part of enthalpy has been converted into this extra velocity. There is no other explanation.renormalize said:The energy "released" by the temperature-fall is exactly balanced by the energy required to increase the flow-velocity. Bernoulli's equation for a compressible fluid (like air) can be written ##v^2/2+C_pT=\text{constant}##, where ##C_p## is the specific heat of the fluid. So simple conservation of energy for compressible flow implies higher-velocity ##v## = lower-temperature ##T##.
Those colors don't make any sense to me, given the streamline compression. & @256bits here's what AHRAE Fundamentals says (I'm trying to access the digital version or I'll scan my book):renormalize said:I don't think that's the right interpretation. The flow-speed plots in fig. 6 of my post #26 show lower speeds (blue) everywhere around the building compared to the higher incoming freestream speed (yellow/green).
I am unsure of your point. Have there been "other explanations" proposed to explain velocity increase?T C said:There is no other explanation.
I don't think this is very useful for low flow velocity situations, where the temperature and density changes are negligible and therefore ignored (incompressible), and that form of the equation doesn't describe the interplay between velocity(pressure) and static pressure. I think it's a Prego thing; "It's in there", but doesn't show it.renormalize said:The energy "released" by the temperature-fall is exactly balanced by the energy required to increase the flow-velocity. Bernoulli's equation for a compressible fluid (like air) can be written ##v^2/2+C_pT=\text{constant}##, where ##C_p## is the specific heat of the fluid. So simple conservation of energy for compressible flow implies higher-velocity ##v## = lower-temperature ##T##.
T C said:In short, a part of enthalpy has been converted into this extra velocity. There is no other explanation.
I'd like for @T C to answer the question based on the incompressible flow form of Bernoulli's equation provided in Post #42.renormalize said:I am unsure of your point. Have there been "other explanations" proposed to explain velocity increase?
Plain and simple explanation, the compression-expansion and related fall in temperature is small in comparison to the overall temperature and therefore it can be neglected and we can consider it to be "practically" incompressible. The condensation over aircraft wings is a reality and can't be overlooked.russ_watters said:I'd like for @T C to answer the question based on the incompressible flow form of Bernoulli's equation provided in Post #42.
So then what does the equation say is going on?T C said:Plain and simple explanation, the compression-expansion and related fall in temperature is small in comparison to the overall temperature and therefore it can be neglected and we can consider it to be "practically" incompressible.
It can be overlooked if it's irrelevant to the topic we were discussing.T C said:The condensation over aircraft wings is a reality and can't be overlooked.
The equation simply says that as the velocity increases, the pressure decreases. And the decrease in pressure is proportional to the square of the increase in velocity (the gz part can be neglected).russ_watters said:So then what does the equation say is going on?
Yes. So that is where the velocity can come from -- decreased pressure. This just means that the random directional movement of atoms causing pressure can be somewhat redirected to the forward direction of motion, causing an increase of airflow velocity and a decrease in pressure.T C said:The equation simply says that as the velocity increases, the pressure decreases. And the decrease in pressure is proportional to the square of the increase in velocity (the gz part can be neglected).
Decreased pressure means fall in temperature and that means energy is released. That energy is being converted into the kinetic energy.FactChecker said:Yes. So that is where the velocity can come from -- decreased pressure. This just means that the random directional movement of atoms causing pressure can be somewhat redirected to the forward direction of motion, causing an increase of airflow velocity and a decrease in pressure.