Can a Hypothetical Perfectly Rigid Body Transmit Forces Faster than Light?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
etriad
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Sorry in advance if this is a ridiculous question, but I've always wondered about this.

Let's say we could create a wire in space away from any gravitational affects. Make the wire 2 light seconds long, for example. If we pulled on one end, when would the effects be felt on the other end? I'm assuming that we could create a zero-stretch material (maybe a very bad assumption).
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi etriad! welcome to pf! :smile:
etriad said:
Sorry in advance if this is a ridiculous question, but I've always wondered about this.

Let's say we could create a wire in space away from any gravitational affects. Make the wire 2 light seconds long, for example. If we pulled on one end, when would the effects be felt on the other end? I'm assuming that we could create a zero-stretch material (maybe a very bad assumption).

at least 2 seconds later …

the wire is mostly empty space: the molecules in it are bound together only by electromagnetism, and electromagnetic effects can't travel faster than light :wink: