Can a person choose to not feel emotions or empathy?

In summary, the participants in the conversation discussed whether or not it is possible to shut down emotions and empathy through training. Some argued that while emotions can be managed and regulated, they cannot be eliminated entirely. Others mentioned that emotions arise from thoughts and can be controlled to some extent. There was also a discussion about managing negative emotions such as fear, embarrassment, remorse, and love, and the importance of setting boundaries in relationships. The conversation also touched on the idea that animals lose the will to live when they find peace, and the potential consequences of trying to shut down emotions.
SW VandeCarr said:
I don't know why this is so difficult for you.

The normal person responds to his or her own suffering and to the suffering of others by experiencing pain to some degree. That's empathy. The psychopath experiences pain only with his or her own suffering, but responds to the suffering of others either not at all or with pleasure. That's a LACK of empathy.I

I think my difficulty might be based on the definition you appear to be using. Researchers generally define empathy as the ability to sense other people’s emotions, coupled with the ability to imagine what someone else might be thinking or feeling. Its a sensitivity to another's emotional state, and applies to all emotional states not just pain. This doesn't mean you experience another's pain or joy, even though that sensitivity is often related to personal experience, exactly the same sensitivity might allow people to experience pleasure if they know someone they really don't like is suffering. Many psychopaths are very adept at reading the effect they are having on their victim and use this to refine the torment, this is empathy. If you are incapable of being sensitive to the suffering of your victim, what pleasure could you get from that, what do you take pleasure in if you can't recognise the suffering you cause and if it has no effect at all, then why do it.? Many people seem to think of empathy as something positive and nice, it isn't its a skill, what you do with that skill is what gives it value.

Biology news on Phys.org
Laroxe said:
I think my difficulty might be based on the definition you appear to be using. Researchers generally define empathy as the ability to sense other people’s emotions, coupled with the ability to imagine what someone else might be thinking or feeling. Its a sensitivity to another's emotional state, and applies to all emotional states not just pain. This doesn't mean you experience another's pain or joy, even though that sensitivity is often related to personal experience, exactly the same sensitivity might allow people to experience pleasure if they know someone they really don't like is suffering. Many psychopaths are very adept at reading the effect they are having on their victim and use this to refine the torment, this is empathy. If you are incapable of being sensitive to the suffering of your victim, what pleasure could you get from that, what do you take pleasure in if you can't recognise the suffering you cause and if it has no effect at all, then why do it.? Many people seem to think of empathy as something positive and nice, it isn't its a skill, what you do with that skill is what gives it value.

Source?

SW VandeCarr said:
Source?

Just type define empathy into google and it will come up with lots of dictionaries, they are pretty reliable when it comes to word definitions. As I've pointed out how things are defined is an important issue, I've not come across your before. I'm not really trying to convince you of anything, I was simply responding to the post, if you don't like what I've said that's fine. You seem to want me to search for what I know to be none existent, good quality evidence and I've already described why such evidence is so problematic, I'm afraid presenting a lit review isn't going to happen, but there is nothing stopping you reading more around it.

="Laroxe, post: 5585584, member: I'm afraid presenting a lit review isn't going to happen, but there is nothing stopping you reading more around it.

And I have.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fnhum.2013.00489/full

As the term "empathy' is used in scientific studies, you've provided no source that justistifies you saying that the idea that diagnosed psychopaths lack empathy is "nonsense" (post 23). There are studies that show that psychopaths can have situational empathy, but that does not justify your statement. The article I linked here is technical, but you can skip to the conclusion for the purposes of this thread.

If you continue posting your personal views without sources, you're in violation of PF rules. Frankly I would be very interested in a peer reviewed paper that supports your view.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
And I have.

As the term "empathy' is used in scientific studies, you've provided no source that justistifies you saying that the idea that diagnosed psychopaths lack empathy is "nonsense" (post 23). There are studies that show that psychopaths can have situational empathy, but that does not justify your statement. The article I linked here is technical, but you can skip to the conclusion for the purposes of this thread.

If you continue posting your personal views without sources, you're in violation of PF rules. Frankly I would be very interested in a peer reviewed paper that supports your view.

SW VandeCarr said:
And I have.

You provide a link to a study conducted by people who think fMRI can be an effective measure of the experience of a particular cognitive state, that emotionally arousing pictures evoke empathy and who claim that perspective taking has not been studied very much but it evokes concern for others. There are some interesting critiques about this sort of work, which I won't get into.
The physics forum does makes it clear that claims of some sort of scientific truth should be evidenced, there is no suggestion that this removes the need for critical thinking or rational thought.

I take it you didn't follow my suggestion to simply Google the define empathy, the first result was;

The termempathy” is used to describe a wide range of experiences. Emotion researchers generally define empathy as the ability to sense other people's emotions, coupled with the ability to imagine what someone else might be thinking or feeling.
This was sourced from – greatergood.berkeley.edu/topic/empathy/definition

It is not something that has a clear shared definition and in a similar way the term psychopath is used in all sorts of ways and is a highly contentious description of anyone really, it is not a diagnosis and has in fact been explicitly rejected as such. Anything you would find specifically related to these things is not going to provide good quality evidence of anything, this can be a real problem. OK. there is some related stuff, Simon Baron-Cohen who is Professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge wrote a book entitled The Science of Evil in which he attempted to bring a lot of evidence from different field to bare on the problem, he suggested that the term evil be replaced with the term “Empathy Erosion”. In his review of data from studies he estimates that only 1 percent of the variation in aggression they studied could be accounted for by a lack of empathy. He identifies a number of ways in which empathy and violence are causally related. An example; https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24364745

There are also studies demonstrating that empathy can drive aggression, even when it made no moral sense.
http://psp.sagepub.com/content/40/11/1406.short
This study being interesting in that all the neurohormone stuff has been debunked, you just never know with some studies.

The study you quote, suggests that in normal subjects, empathy evokes concern for others, there are in fact lots of studies in business showing exactly the opposite & how empathy (perspective taking) might lead to unethical business practices and lying.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/news/minds-business/the-dark-side-of-empathy.html

You are asking a question about ill defined, contentious subjects with strong value associations, a good answer requires an understanding of all the issues involved. A simplistic meaningless answer is yes psychopaths lack empathy, whoever they are and whatever that is. Your right it is an interesting subject, but I have definitely finished with it now.

Likes Torbert
Laroxe said:
You are asking a question about ill defined, contentious subjects with strong value associations, a good answer requires an understanding of all the issues involved. A simplistic meaningless answer is yes psychopaths lack empathy, whoever they are and whatever that is. Your right it is an interesting subject, but I have definitely finished with it now.
This has been the statement I've been challenging from post 23:

"The idea that psychopaths lack empathy because they can engage in extreme harm to others without guilt is nonsense, a psychopath knows exactly what effect they are having on a victim, they use this empathy to refine the torment they cause, the difference is is that they enjoy it, if they didn't, why would they bother."
Boldface mine

The articles you linked are not about psychopathy. Using a word like "nonsense" for peer reviewed material requires a high bar. I'll let the mentors determine whether you reached that bar.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Likes jim mcnamara