1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a person hanging from a rope pull the person holding the rope up?

1. Jan 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rope of negligible mass passes over a pulley of negligible mass attached to the ceiling. One end is held by student A (70 kg) who is at rest. The other side has student b (60 kg).

I need to explain why or why not student b can lift student a off of the ground if he accelerates up the rope, increasing tension.

2. Relevant equations

the force of student A is 700 N (70kg x 10 m/s^2)
    the force of student B is 600 N (60kg x 10m/s^2)
    the normal force exerted on student A by the floor is 100N (?)
    the force of tension will vary depending on student B's acceleration (F=ma)

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't believe that it would be possible to pull the person holding the rope up, but i'm not sure how to prove it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello patriots51. Welcome to PF !

If you were told that it is possible for student B to lift student A off of the ground, could you explain how it's possible?

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

To demonstrate "lifting off the ground" B just needs to momentarily cause A's feet leave the floor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook