Can a person hanging from a rope pull the person holding the rope up?

  • Thread starter Thread starter patriots51
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pull Rope
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
patriots51
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A rope of negligible mass passes over a pulley of negligible mass attached to the ceiling. One end is held by student A (70 kg) who is at rest. The other side has student b (60 kg).

I need to explain why or why not student b can lift student a off of the ground if he accelerates up the rope, increasing tension.

Homework Equations



the force of student A is 700 N (70kg x 10 m/s^2)
the force of student B is 600 N (60kg x 10m/s^2)
the normal force exerted on student A by the floor is 100N (?)
the force of tension will vary depending on student B's acceleration (F=ma)

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't believe that it would be possible to pull the person holding the rope up, but I'm not sure how to prove it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
patriots51 said:

Homework Statement



A rope of negligible mass passes over a pulley of negligible mass attached to the ceiling. One end is held by student A (70 kg) who is at rest. The other side has student b (60 kg).

I need to explain why or why not student b can lift student a off of the ground if he accelerates up the rope, increasing tension.

Homework Equations



the force of student A is 700 N (70kg x 10 m/s^2)
the force of student B is 600 N (60kg x 10m/s^2)
the normal force exerted on student A by the floor is 100N (?)
the force of tension will vary depending on student B's acceleration (F=ma)



The Attempt at a Solution



I don't believe that it would be possible to pull the person holding the rope up, but I'm not sure how to prove it.
Hello patriots51. Welcome to PF !

If you were told that it is possible for student B to lift student A off of the ground, could you explain how it's possible?
 
patriots51 said:
A rope of negligible mass passes over a pulley of negligible mass attached to the ceiling. One end is held by student A (70 kg) who is at rest. The other side has student b (60 kg).

I need to explain why or why not student b can lift student a off of the ground if he accelerates up the rope, increasing tension.
To demonstrate "lifting off the ground" B just needs to momentarily cause A's feet leave the floor.