Can a rotating stator with permanent magnets change polarity relative to the rotor?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter deuel18
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rotating Stator
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
deuel18
Messages
34
Reaction score
1
Hello. I just want to know if it is possible to have permanent magnets as Stator in a Rotating Magnetic field morot. However, these Stators rotates to change their polarities in relation with the Rotor. Much like the harmony of Intake/Exhaust valves in an Internal Combustion Engine.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If it rotates, it's not a stator, which is defined as not rotating.
 
I know but i just used the 'term' so readers could see the perspective I am at. Because if I say rotor and then rotor, what's the difference? So I had to use the same term.
 
Brushless motor with stationary windings in the middle and permanent magnets rotating around it...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/reviews/956/Outrunner_Inside.jpg

The speed controller makes the field in the windings rotate at same rpm as the outer rotor.