Can an organic ion have a charge of -3?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Janiceleong26
Messages
276
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


image.jpg


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't seem to see how an organic ion with charge -3 is formed. I thought an organic ion will always have a charge of -1? Like sodium ethoxide CH3CH2CO-Na+ ?
I know that Na can only react with alcohols and carboxylic acids, so B and D are probably out, though B has carboxylic acid grp and D has alcohol grp in it..
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Janiceleong26 said:
I thought an organic ion will always have a charge of -1?

Why? What is a charge of the anion in disodium oxalate? Trisodium citrate?

Janiceleong26 said:
I know that Na can only react with alcohols and carboxylic acids

You are looking for a compound that has a single proton acidic enough to be neutralized by NaOH, and three protons that can react with Na. You are right about B & D being out.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: frozonecom
Borek said:
Why? What is a charge of the anion in disodium oxalate? Trisodium citrate?
You are looking for a compound that has a single proton acidic enough to be neutralized by NaOH, and three protons that can react with Na. You are right about B & D being out.
-2 and -3 :biggrin: sorry I didn't know about this, now that I've know now...we have to find a compound that has three functional groups that can react with Na right? Which is A or C. But since they say J reacts with NaOH (aq) to produce an organic ion with -1 charge, which means there should only be 1 -COOH grp, so ans. is C
Thanks!