Can anyone help my start this problem?

• Thread starter physics_ash82
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the centripetal acceleration of a point on a grinding wheel, given its radius, angular velocity, and time interval. Using the formula for centripetal acceleration, we can solve for the acceleration and get a value of 14.4 m/s^2.
physics_ash82
A 0.150-m-radius grinding wheel, starting at rest, develops an angular speed of 12.0 rad/s in a time interval of 4.00 s. What is the centripetal acceleration of a point 0.100 m from the center when the wheel is moving at an angular speed of 12.0 rad/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
First state the formula for centripetal acceleration. Then look for those quantities in the problem statement.

Give it a try. If you get stuck then post what you have done and where you got stuck. But you must show an attempt at the problem in order to receive help here.

Ac= v^2 / r

12^2 / .100 which I got 1440. and the answer is 14.4

It is true that centripetal acceleration = v^2/r, where v is the tangential velocity.

However, the 12 you are using is angular velocity. You may convert this [tex]\omega = \frac{v}{r}[/tex] or use the alternative formula: [tex]a_c = \omega^2r[/tex]

:blushing: ooh...thanks for the help :smile:

1. Can anyone help me understand the problem?

Yes, as a scientist, it is our job to analyze and break down complex problems. We can work together to understand the problem and find a solution.

2. How can I start tackling this problem?

The first step is to gather all relevant information and data related to the problem. Then, we can use scientific methods and techniques to analyze the information and come up with potential solutions.

3. Is there a specific approach or methodology I should use?

There are various scientific approaches and methodologies that can be used depending on the nature of the problem. As scientists, we are trained to select the most appropriate approach for a given problem.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help me with this problem?

There are numerous resources and tools available to aid in problem-solving, such as scientific literature, software, and equipment. We can also collaborate with other scientists or experts in the field for additional support.

5. How long will it take to solve this problem?

The time it takes to solve a problem can vary depending on its complexity. As scientists, our goal is to find an accurate and effective solution, which may require trial and error and multiple iterations. It is important to be patient and thorough in the problem-solving process.