1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help with displacement?

1. Sep 17, 2007 #1
    A car is driven 135 km west and then 30 km southwest. What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin (magnitude and direction)?
    ° south of west
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2007 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What have you tried so far? Where is your work?
  4. Sep 17, 2007 #3
    nothing yet. that is the question from my physics book.
  5. Sep 17, 2007 #4

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sorry, but the rules clearly state that you need to show some work to get homework help on this forum. You must know SOMETHING about the problem? What concepts are involved. What are your thoughts about a possible solution?
  6. Sep 17, 2007 #5
    Seems like a math problem involving trigonometry, not so much physics. It seems all you need is the Pythagorean theorem for displacement in km and angle in arctan.
  7. Sep 17, 2007 #6
    i dont know how to find the angle?
  8. Sep 17, 2007 #7
    Using the Pythagorean theorem, find the right triangle whose legs are respectively southward and westward oriented and whose hypotenuse connects origin with destination. Then utilize the arctan function with the legs. I'll leave this up to you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?