Can anyone help with this magnetism problem?

Well done.In summary, a charged particle with a kinetic energy of 0.0929 J and a radius of 3.38 m is fired into a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.147 T. Using the formula r=mv/qb and Kinetic energy is 0.5mv^(2), the mass of the particle is determined to be 8.505*10^-12 kg.
kbraith3
Poster reminded to use the Homework Help Template in the future for schoolwork posts
A 2.53*10^(-6) C charged particle with kinetic energy of 0.0929 J is fired into a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.147 T. If the particle moves in a circular path of radius 3.38 m, determine its mass in kg. (answer should be within 2*10^-14 kg)

The formula r=mv/qb comes to mind where r is radius (in m), m is mass (in kg), v is velocity (in m/s), q is charge in coulombs, and b is the magnetic field in teslas. Another important formula is Kinetic energy is 0.5mv^(2). where m is mass in kg and v is is m/s (I think).

I tried to solve this but I run into the problem of not being able to isolate the m to solve for it. I know that 0.0929 J = 0.5mv^(2) but I still have two unknowns and can't solve for the mass. Otherwise I could insert into r=mv/qb, such as 3.38m=mv/(2.53*10^(-6) C)(0.147 T) It seems like I would need to be given the velocity to be able to solve for the mass, can anyone help??

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to PF. Hope you find it interesting and helpful.

I tried to solve this but I run into the problem of not being able to isolate the m to solve for it. I know that 0.0929 J = 0.5mv^(2) but I still have two unknowns and can't solve for the mass.
Well, if you have two unknowns, you need two equations - and you have them.
Maybe if you tried some algebraic manipulation, so that you could substitute one into the other, eliminating one variable, you would be left with one equation and one unknown.

Merlin3189 said:
Hello and welcome to PF. Hope you find it interesting and helpful.Well, if you have two unknowns, you need two equations - and you have them.
Maybe if you tried some algebraic manipulation, so that you could substitute one into the other, eliminating one variable, you would be left with one equation and one unknown.
I think I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure how to do it. The V in one equation and the V^2 in the other seems to throw everything else off...

If you got something like ## x=y^2 +3 ## how would you get what y= ?

Merlin3189 said:
If you got something like ## x=y^2 +3 ## how would you get what y= ?
if x=y^(2)+3 if would just subtract three from both sides yielding x-3=y^(2), I would then square root both sides to get Sqrt(x-3)=y

Exactly. So do likewise with ## K= \frac 1 2 mv^2 ##

Merlin3189 said:
Exactly. So do likewise with ## K= \frac 1 2 mv^2 ##
nevermind I figured it out. You can just take both equations and isolate for m on both of them. When you do this you realize that on one side rqb/v=m and on the other side 2Ke/v^(2)=m, therefore rqb/v=2Ke/v^(2). Furthering the work, you can multiply rqb/v by v^(2) on both sides to eliminate it from the denominator on the 2Ke/v^(2) leaving rqbv=2Ke. From here we can isolate the v, v=2Ke/rqb. At this point we have all the variables and can solve for v. Once we have v we can substitute it back into our original equation to solve for m.

it turns out v=147,805.7 m/s. Substituting back in we get 3.38 m = m(147,805.7 m/s)/((2.53E-6 C)(0.147 T)). m=8.505*10^-12 kg.

Fine. I haven't put the numbers in yet - just done the algebra. I'll get my specs & a calculator and check.

yep. I get the same.

Last edited:
Likes kbraith3

1. What is magnetism and why is it important?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects to attract or repel each other. It is important because it is involved in many everyday objects and processes, such as electricity generation, motors, and compasses.

2. What are the main properties of magnets?

The main properties of magnets include attraction and repulsion, the ability to magnetize other objects, and the presence of two poles (north and south).

3. How can I determine the strength of a magnet?

The strength of a magnet is determined by its magnetic field, which can be measured using a device called a magnetometer. The stronger the magnetic field, the stronger the magnet.

4. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of a material that is naturally magnetic, while an electromagnet is created by running an electric current through a coil of wire. The strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire.

5. How can I solve a magnetism problem?

To solve a magnetism problem, you will need to understand the basic principles of magnetism and use equations, such as Ampere's Law and Faraday's Law, to calculate the magnetic field or force. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use vector notation to represent the direction and magnitude of magnetic fields.