1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone help me check my free body diagram for mobile crane

1. Jan 5, 2014 #1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2014 #2
    reposted

4. Jan 5, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your diagram looks ok. Some forces are shown going the opposite way to what will actually happen, but that won't matter - they'll just come out negative. you won't be needing Rpx.

5. Jan 5, 2014 #4
    haruspex, can you tell me which are the force going the opposite way? I need to learn from my mistake. so please guide me thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  6. Jan 5, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I wrote, it doesn't really matter. As long as you apply the chosen directions consistently in the equations it will come out fine. Remember that there will be situations where it is not obvious which way the force will act, so it's rather important that it is not necessary to guess it correctly. (An exception to this is friction. You may sometimes need to consider two possibilities separately.)

In the diagram you posted, it's not always clear how a force is being defined. E.g. consider R2y. Is that a vertical force exerted by the girder on the base, or an (equal and opposite) force exerted by the base on the girder? Whichever it is, I assume R3y is defined similarly. Now compare R2y and R3y. You show both pointing down. They must be in fact be in opposite directions to counter the moment from the load.

7. Jan 5, 2014 #6
    Where should the cg be?

8. Jan 5, 2014 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

CG of what? Your W1, W2, W3 and W4 look right.

9. Jan 5, 2014 #8

Okay Ty, now I just worry about wether should I include the wheel. Because my classmate said the wheel should be in contact with ground, there are no outrigger or hydraulic, it is just stabilizer

10. Jan 6, 2014 #9

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are forces from the ground surface on both the front and rear sets of wheels. One has to be certain that the vertical force from the ground on the rear wheels is upward, or else the rear wheels would lose contact with the ground and the crane would become unstable and start to tip over.
    You have to be careful in drawing free body diagrams to isolate the members or joints you are interested in. For example, when looking at the entire crane system, the only forces acting are the weight forces and the reaction forces from the wheels. All other forces are internal to the system. It is not good practice to show all forces internal and external on one diagram without breaking up the system into its parts.

11. Jan 6, 2014 #10
    Thanks alot guys, i learn alot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted