Can anyone kindly show me the steps to solve this question?

• Thread starter executioner_c
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about how to approach a difficult integral problem. The participants suggest starting with long division to simplify the integrand and then using standard textbook methods such as partial fractions to integrate it. One participant shares a solution using these methods.
executioner_c
integration.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
i would start with long division & see what i get. if it turned out to be something that partial fractions would work on i'd do that, or trig substitution etc etc. there's a forum just for homework problems where this thread really belongs. :wink:

That's one nasty integral - the Wolfram Integrator gives:

http://img316.imageshack.us/img316/4803/2359mo8.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
there's a lot there but you still only need standard textbook methods to integrate it.

fourier jr said:
there's a lot there but you still only need standard textbook methods to integrate it.
Care to show us the way... :tongue:

I'd start by trying to see if either -1 or -4 is a root of the top. That would help you lowert the power of that monstruosity. I doubt it is a non-reductible quintic that you got to integrate...if not, long division, get a rational expression plus a bunch of constant/linear/quadratic parts and integrate it each piece at a time.

If I recall,

[tex]\int{(a+b)}=\int{a}+\int{b}[/tex]

So all components after the division should be very simple to integrate except the fraction if there is one...and that shouldn't be too bad neither.

Last edited:
As fourierjr said at the beginning: go ahead and do the division. That integrand is equal to
[tex]x-1- \frac{6x^3+ 6x^2+ 11x+ 1}{(x+1)^2(x^2+ 4)}[/tex]
You can use partial fractions to integrate that fraction.

I've just got the solution.Thanks a lot!

1. How do I approach solving a question?

When trying to solve a question, it is important to first read and understand the question carefully. Then, break down the question into smaller, manageable parts and identify any key information or formulas that may be needed. Finally, use critical thinking and problem-solving skills to come up with a solution.

2. What are the general steps to solve a question?

The general steps to solve a question may vary depending on the subject or topic, but typically involve the following: 1. Read and understand the question. 2. Identify any known information or formulas. 3. Plan and strategize an approach. 4. Solve the question. 5. Check your answer for accuracy.

3. How do I show my work when solving a question?

When solving a question, it is important to show your work so that others can understand your thought process and see where any mistakes may have been made. This can be done by writing out each step clearly, showing any calculations or formulas used, and explaining any reasoning behind your approach.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve a question?

Yes, an example of how to solve a question would be to first read and understand the question, then identify any known information or formulas. Next, plan and strategize an approach, such as using a specific formula or breaking the question down into smaller parts. Finally, solve the question and double check your answer for accuracy.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

To improve your problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly and challenge yourself with different types of questions. You can also seek help from others, such as teachers or tutors, and learn from their problem-solving approaches. Additionally, staying organized and breaking down problems into smaller, manageable parts can also help improve your skills.