Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone kindly show me the steps to solve this question?

1. Sep 7, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2006 #2
    i would start with long division & see what i get. if it turned out to be something that partial fractions would work on i'd do that, or trig substitution etc etc. there's a forum just for homework problems where this thread really belongs. :wink:
  4. Sep 7, 2006 #3

5. Sep 7, 2006 #4
    there's a lot there but you still only need standard textbook methods to integrate it.
  6. Sep 8, 2006 #5

Care to show us the way... :tongue:
  7. Sep 8, 2006 #6
    I'd start by trying to see if either -1 or -4 is a root of the top. That would help you lowert the power of that monstruosity. I doubt it is a non-reductible quintic that you got to integrate...if not, long division, get a rational expression plus a bunch of constant/linear/quadratic parts and integrate it each piece at a time.

If I recall,

So all components after the division should be very simple to integrate except the fraction if there is one...and that shouldn't be too bad neither.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  8. Sep 8, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As fourierjr said at the beginning: go ahead and do the division. That integrand is equal to
    [tex]x-1- \frac{6x^3+ 6x^2+ 11x+ 1}{(x+1)^2(x^2+ 4)}[/tex]
    You can use partial fractions to integrate that fraction.
  9. Nov 12, 2006 #8
    I've just got the solution.Thanks a lot!!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?